All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-19-2010, 03:05 PM
Baitfish

AFARR is on a distinguished road
Default Need advice on equipement, etc...salt and freshwater.

I've been fishing from Kayaks (started in a 15' Aluminum Canoe..and that got to be a pain to load on top of a car by myself) off and on for years (OK, mostly off).

Now, I'm settling down...and will likely be able to go to places like Long Beach Island, Delaware, and the Outer Banks to do occasional kayak fishing during some trips.

The upcoming one is the OBX.

I'm not hard core enough to paddle 50 miles to the gulfstream...but I'd like to set up a kayak for fresh (which I will do most) and some salt water fishing....in the OBX, I'd like to go into the sound, around the inlets (Oregon Inlet), and possibly out a little from the beach into the Atlantic on relatively calm days. Not sure on the other places.

I'm in a position to get a replacement kayak (my youngest Daughter outgrew her kid sized Loon...and whatever I get will be to fish out of, and she can use the Keowee I normally fish freshwater with).

My criteria:
Stable in light chop.
Light enough to load on a car top carrier myself (60ish lbs isn't too bad), even after paddling a good bit.
Not overloaded with equipment/pole holders, etc...since I'll be throwing it into freshwater lakes much more frequently...and I tend to ultra-light stuff there (one rod, one fanny pack with the gear). Removable stuff would work fine.
Preferably small enough for a teen to run it also (14 yrs old), but that's not mandatory.

I also need advice on what to equip not only the Kayak with, but what kind of rods (I prefer spinning), tackle and lures are good to have. Including line weights. I'm restocking my surf equipment..and will probably get a rod to work on the kayak at the same time.

Thanks for ANY and all advice!

Oh, yeah...even PFD advice would be good (I have a bunch for fresh water, but not sure on Salt)....and other emergency stuff to have handy.

Thanks!!

I should add:
Current Kayak inventory:
12' Wilderness System Manteo (27" wide, Sit in...'day tripping' Kayak)
8' Perception Keowee (29" Wide, general Rec. kayak).
Ocean Kayak (I think it's the Yak Board, but it's on loan for now...so I'm not sure on the model).

I figured on getting a Sit On Top kayak....unless one of the others matches what I need pretty well.
Old 07-20-2010, 02:59 PM
Barracuda

baitcasterboy20 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need advice on equipement, etc...salt and freshwater.

I like sit on tops
Old 07-21-2010, 01:53 PM
Baitfish

Joediddle is on a distinguished road
Wink Re: Need advice on equipement, etc...salt and freshwater.

+1 on the sit on top in saltwater. As far as "must haves" go, get a good pfd that you can fish while wearing, a VHF radio, and a good set of wp clothing. Google is gonna be your best friend when it comes to making the right choices on gear.

Also, if your gonna spend some time on the water get a good paddel

Joe