All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 08-06-2010, 10:34 PM
Baitfish

AFARR is on a distinguished road
Default Second Kayak...what to get...

I have a Trident 13...haven't even had it out on the water (sold a Keowee..a 9'+ SInK and got it)....but my kids are expressing more of an interest in fishing.

I don't know how serious they are...but I'm already considering a second kayak.

I'm 5' 10"...235 lbs (and going DOWN!!)..

They are girls...13 and 15 (under 150 lbs)...

But....

I may have the opportunity to take other adults fishing...ranging around 6' +/- a couple of inches..and it would also be my "backup" or slightly different kayak for fishing...so not sure if it should be a bigger (15' or wider..33" kayak), or smaller (10 or 11')...

What to consider as a second fishing kayak (for mostly salt and some fresh water)?...The kids have an Ocean Kayak Yak Board (9' Wide surfing type)..and a Perception 5-0 (even more of a surf board type)...that can be used for basic freshwater fishing (especially with a dedicated angler and a father acting as the 'mother ship')...but nothing that is a dedicated Angler kayak.

Unfortunately, there's not a lot of places near me (Allentown, PA) where I can try kayaks out. So, need to narrow it down to one or two, and try to find a place that stocks them for a test paddle, or at least to be able to sit in one.

Any thoughts?

I can take my time to look for used or an excellent "end of season" deal on a new yak. Just trying to get ideas..

I'm actually leaning towards something like an Ocean Kayak Big Game (bigger, wider, heavier than the Trident...but if I'm using it I'll likely have help to load or unload it...or can use it myself in rougher waters)...but I'll still consider other advice...

Thanks!!

AFARR
Old 08-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Baitfish

Default Updating my own post...

I had the Trident 13 out on the water today...did great. Light wind on a smaller lake (Beltzville in PA), a little very light waves and some small wakes (from the idiots who can't tell what "no wake zone" means).

Very dry..a little water in the footwells (more from me than from the kayak), and a bit damp on the rear end...

The one thing I did notice...it is heavy to get on the car...did it myself going and had my daughter help on the way back...

So, I'm thinking NOT a Big Game...as it's heavy enough it would be difficult to work with (and would only see occasional use because of that...).

Probably a slightly shorter (10 or 11'), slightly wider (30+") that's a little bit lighter. The Trident is OK to use, but a slightly smaller one would be nice to throw on the car for a quick trip...

And, I did dump the kayak once intentionally...water was nice and warm...
had no trouble flipping it back myself and flopping onto it (not the smoothest action to do, but I can get on with no trouble). Might be a bit harder with a bunch of gear, but it didn't get any water in the hatches, and leashing everything down should work well...

AFARR
Old 08-10-2010, 11:29 PM
Free Swimmer

kayaker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Second Kayak...what to get...

Something you Big Game fill probably fit you the best. Malibus have comfy kayaks for folks 200+... old XFactor, or take a look at Stealth 14

http://www.kayakfishingsupplies.com/...alth-12-review

Incredibly stable. All of them will be heavy, well kind of. With some rigging on it, they'll be 60ish lbs +/-, but you'll need that kind of weight if you want a real comfort. You're lucky it's a lake, so you don't have to fight swell and ocean currents.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Baitfish

Default Just ordered...

An OK Trident 11 Angler...2' shorter, 5lbs lighter... 1" wider...

Not a huge difference....couldn't justify a larger boat (at least until I'm going Salt Water on a regular basis)......

But Cabelas has them on sale for $637!! Shipped...To Me!! ($674 for the Trident 13)...couldn't pass up the deal.

AFARR