All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 08-02-2011, 06:05 PM
Baitfish

Amish Ed is on a distinguished road
Default Dana Pt, 8-2-11

Launched at 5:30 to a light breeze and chilly conditions. Got around the jetty to head for the Pipe and found the wind picking up already. Water temps are down 11º, never saw above 59º the whole morning and mostly it was in the 58º range. Started in 40' and worked the Pipe out to about 60'. This hour long run netted me one giant Tree Fish and nothing else, not even another bite.

I worked my way back shallow and the Helena took my 40' spot before I could work my way there. Listening to them, it was really slow for them too. I worked different areas for a while before I hooked something that broke me off close to the surface. Then it was another hour and half or so before as I was calling it quits I got 2 calicoes in 35'. As I only had 6 bites all morning I suppose I did ok, but damn was it slow. All fish came on Flurrys in Fire Avocado with Hotsauce. I did get one bite on an LK Intruder in clear/red flake.

BTW, the wind really came up as the morning wore on and by 9am it was howling pretty good. The paddle back sucked. By the time I got to the end of the island and could see Baby Beach I felt like I was going backwards. Hopefully this wind will die down soon and the water can warm back up. Needing a full suit in Aug. is just not right.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:15 PM
Home Guard

kobra is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dana Pt, 8-2-11

I've pulled some big treefish off the pipe but that one's a monster. I hope the wind dies down soon.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:54 AM
Baitfish

Unfortunately we have at least 5 more days.

Old 08-29-2011, 04:05 PM
Hook Up!

jimmythefish is on a distinguished road

How do you find the "Pipe" Will is show up on a fish finder?
Old 08-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Baitfish

The Pipe will definitely show on the FF. It comes up between 5-10' depending on where you are on it. If you paddle out of the harbor and turn about 40º paddle until you're in about 50' then veer left. You want to be lined up between the left barber pole and the red bouy on the inside. The Pipe runs from about 35' out to about 90'. Once lobster season hits it's easy to find, it'll have pots all over it. If you can fish on Mon. or Tues. your welcome to join me some time.

Old 09-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Hook Up!

Hey thanks for the info. I bet Ill find it now. And thanks for the invite. Id love to join you some time. I always end up fishing alone. You mentioned the "Barber Pole" Ive heard this before. What the heck is it? Hope to see you on the water. Until then, good luck and thanks for the help.
Old 09-06-2011, 05:36 PM
Baitfish

The barber poles are skinny tall buoys (guessing maybe 6' by 1') at the end of the pipe. you want to line up with the left one. But, they are hard to see and you need to be probably half way out before it's visible.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Hook Up!

OK... Finally I get it. You have been a big help. Now I can wait to get out there and drop a line. Its been a few months since Ive been to DP. Ive been fishing Mission Bay and SanDiego Bay a lot lately. Lots of action, but small fish in there. Had any luck lately at DP?
Old 09-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Home Guard

kobra is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmythefish View Post
OK... Finally I get it. You have been a big help. Now I can wait to get out there and drop a line. Its been a few months since Ive been to DP. Ive been fishing Mission Bay and SanDiego Bay a lot lately. Lots of action, but small fish in there. Had any luck lately at DP?
Hey jimmy, check out a recent DP report on kayakfishingaddicts.