All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 04-11-2009, 05:45 PM
Predator

Granite Goliath is on a distinguished road
Default Thanks Andy

$5 tourney with biggest bass taking all, pure artificials. Metered most fish from 13 ft to 20 feet, hardly any after that. Tons of barracuda swimming around though. Water was warm enough to wear shorts to, forgot water temp, sorry.

Action started within 5 minutes of tourney. I metered a shelf that ran a bit of ways. Paddled past the shelf and cast back in it. I started to rig another rod to drop, but had no need.
Ray took me across the bay. Yak weighs about 70 pounds, I weigh 278 pounds and away we went. He wrapped me to a buoy on the other side and that was that.

Ride led me to another dropoff and I hooked up on a legal sandbass. I have a Malibu Stealth 12. It's got a baittank right in the cockpit. Kept that bass alive for 5 hours no problem.

I'd work the shelf for a bass, then go work docks for a bit. Caught a few in a particular dock by the entrance. Even a short hali.

Never been to that area before so I worked structure. I ran zigzags around these buoys looking for dropoffs, structure... Looked like I was running slaloms or evading torpedoes, but just searching

Ran into an angler by check in, he had a bigger bass than mine so I released mine. About 5 hours catching him, he was fine and went down real fast.

Fish Count
1 Halibut
2 Spotted Baybass
4 Sandbass (1 legal)

The Stealth 12 is a pretty good ride; very stable and lots of space. Comes with 4 built in rod holders. There's 3 hatches in the cockpit. On the left is for access to the plumbing, middle is a bait tank and right is for tackle (good size too)

Basicly, the white part you see filters any grass or kelp from getting in the plumbing. There's a pump in the kayak, smaller than a soda can. Pump puts water in the bait tank.
Inside of the bait tank there's a nozzle that you adjust the flow of the water. Turn it one way and you get lots of water, turn the other and you get less.
The bait tank has 2 holes on the side to allow water from inside to flow out, thus circulating the water. The exiting water leaves right out through the scupper holes. The yak is a very dry ride, even with the holes. Bait tank also has a clear top that you can twist open.
Makes it a bit easier to get bait inside or put fish inside, rather than opening the entire hatch.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 PM
Baitfish

TundraKayak is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Thanks Andy

very nice pictures.

I noticed you have the stealth 12'. Do you think it's a good option for a 240 lb guy like me?

After so much research I have decided on the stealth.
I already had a chance to paddle a stealth 12' and it was great. It's cheaper (tight budget ), and it seems easier to handle and to transport. I thought the 14 footer was a beast.

Being a 1st time kayak owner I am not sure if this 12' yak is good for me. I will be fishing in saltwater and freshwater.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:16 AM
Home Guard

Iceman is on a distinguished road

Nice! Glad the S12 is working well for ya and catching fish...........I hate bat ray hook ups!!!

Great fishing with you all!

Big Bass Weigh-in this morning drew 34 entries for a $170 pot. 2 in the junior division, Matt turned Gabe's $5 into $10 with a sand bass. Travis won the rest of the cash ($160)with a 2.3 sand bass. (2.4 covered with sand) Couple 2 pound sandies (Wbrewski and Sea Eagle) tied for 2nd and a spottie that went 1 15 Heard of some heartbreaking calicos to the boiler rocks and spotties to buoys. I managed a couple sand bass, spottie and a halibut that thought it was way bigger than 25 inches All my fish came on the Tin Roller blade. Thanks for the great turn out, especially the few that came all the way from SD. Next one is May 2nd in Huntington Harbor. See ya there!

Old 04-12-2009, 10:57 PM
Baitfish

aftahour is on a distinguished road

ah i found u rich.. looks good.. well fish soon.
Old 04-13-2009, 04:35 PM
Predator

Granite Goliath is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TundraKayak View Post
very nice pictures.

I noticed you have the stealth 12'. Do you think it's a good option for a 240 lb guy like me?

After so much research I have decided on the stealth.
I already had a chance to paddle a stealth 12' and it was great. It's cheaper (tight budget ), and it seems easier to handle and to transport. I thought the 14 footer was a beast.

Being a 1st time kayak owner I am not sure if this 12' yak is good for me. I will be fishing in saltwater and freshwater.

I'm 278 and I really like it. Met a guy that had a Hobie paddle drive, he rolled it twice. He was bigger than I though and a bit on the older side.

I'd still test drive one.