All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 04-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Plug Builder

Bay Stalker is on a distinguished road
Default Fish Finder and Battery Installation Hobie Outback 07

I used a watertight box to enclose the battery and stabilized it in the box with closed cell foam. The battery box is mounted to the sail mast as shown. It slid back enough that it would not impede the storage area. The one hole I drilled in the box is sealed with silicone inside and out, this was to get the power cable into it. The wire is held tight to the box with one plastic wire strap. I also added quick disconnects for the charger, this way I don't have to remove the battery to charge it. The transducer it set into a block of closed cell foam that is glued down to the hull behind the sail post. Before setting the foam I lightly sanded the area and wiped it clean with alcohol. I sprayed the one side of the foam with 3M super 77 spray adhesive. I set it on to the hull after it tacked up and weighted it down. This area looked like it would have the least flex and not pop the transducer from the hull as others stated. The transducer was then set into a bed of clear silicone not marine goop, this way it could still be removed.

--------------You Will Not Find Me
---------But You Will Know, I Am There
Old 04-22-2007, 05:22 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Fish Finder and Battery Installation Hobie Outback 07

Very, very cool with nice pix to boot Thank You for contributing to our forums here. Any type of fish finder installation guide is always a bit hit as that is one of the first accessories we often get and install as anglers.

I also like the light pole installation in the above post also. I've seen some anglers use lights right at deck level and I don't think they are seen as well as light that are raised about the anglers head, or other obstructions. TC&TL,

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Baitfish

theyorkieterror is on a distinguished road

The only thing missing as I see this install is a volt meter to know what is left in power then how about adding a solar charger for under way charging to stay longer at the fishing whole. It's only money, the most toys wins, only cost a nickle more to go first class.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:53 PM
Baitfish

theyorkieterror is on a distinguished road

The only thing missing as I see this install is a volt meter to know what is left in power then how about adding a solar charger for under way charging to stay longer at the fishing whole. It's only money, the most toys wins, only cost a nickle more to go first class. There are two kinds of ships at sea: Submarines and Targets
Old 05-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

The Garmin fish finder has its own voltmeter - you can have it read on the screen in real time or set it to alarm at 8.6V. LiquidFishing.com sells a timer on/off switch that is on 30 seconds and off 3 minutes to really save your battery. It is pricy but probably less hassle than the solar charger.