All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 08-18-2007, 02:01 PM
Predator

Needlefish will become famous soon enough
Default Newport

Last minute decision to take the yak out of Newport. Good to get the "rust" off my lack of fishing time. Went outside the harbor and hung a right turn. Not alot but it sure was a beautiful day.

Final Score
3 sand bass ( up to 2 lbs )
2 lizardfish
3 bonita (1 lb each sorry to say)
1 mack
1 20" "butt

Some chop out there but no swell to speak of. Anyone been South lately around Crystal Cove?

Pablo
Old 08-18-2007, 07:31 PM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newport

Thanks for the report Pablo! I can relate to lack of fishing time. I'm in the middle of a 14 day stretch at work. Even so, I'll have to squeeze in some fishing time soon.

Hank

Old 08-18-2007, 07:52 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Newport

Pablo,
Thanks for the report I haven't been out of Newport either direction for awhile. Been doing the harbor thing for spotties, but wanna get some hali's and sandies so it's time to venture out again from Newport, Dana ,LB and Redondo. I recently got a GPS from Jclays I wanna try out and can't think of a better way. Hope to see 'ya soon,
Perry

PS-You have an 8wt rod setup and a good float tube?
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 08-19-2007, 10:56 AM
Predator

Needlefish will become famous soon enough

Have a tube Perry but need a new bladder for it. Have a 6 wt. flyrod and full sinking line that I use for Crowley. I can get by with that in the harbor ,but too light for surf fishing, or out in ocean I think. It was SOOOOOOOOOOO good to get out there.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:51 PM
UN PESCADOR

PESCADOR is on a distinguished road

I am my sons out on a rented skiff in new port marina, can what would be a good bait for halibit. is there areas for bass in the marina.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Home Guard

Pescador,
I recently took my son on a skiff at Davey's Locker and we had a great time. The Spotted Bay bass fishing was excellent and there are small barracuda around the bait barge right now. All the bass we caught were near the Coast Guard Station. We drifted (or anchored) along the first and second buoys east as you face the station. As for Halibut, I did not see any caught that day. The only Halibut I've caught there were outside the beach swimming area located by the bait barge. There are hundreds of the spots to fish in the bay but these have always been the most productive for us. The fish we caught were caught on plastic lures or frozen anchovies.

Davies Locker Info:
skiff rental link: http://www.daveyslocker.com/skiff_rentalsNEW.html
Reservations
During the summmer months, you need to call a few days ahead and reserve a skiff if you are fishing on the weekend. If you reserve it for the morning, the skiff must be picked up by 7:00 a.m. or they have the right to rent it to someone else.

Bait
The only options of bait were frozen anchovies or frozen squid. If we wanted live bait, we had to buy it from the bait barge. In years past, they gave us live bait right at the dock which was included in the price of the rental.

Parking
There is paid parking on the beach side of the street. The price is approximately $8.00.

I hope this helps.
Bueno Suerte Pescador!!!!

Hank

Old 08-20-2008, 01:15 PM
Baitfish

flip4i is on a distinguished road

Doesn't look like it TOO slow. Anyway, fished the kelp beds at CDM again last week and it was slow there. Inside the harbor had more action.
Old 08-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Home Guard

All the Spotties we caught were legal fish. We also caught a few small Calicos and Sandies.
I've been using a couple of products from Pro Cure with some amazing success. I put a few drops on the plastics and fish have been hammering it. Try the "Butt Juice" or "Calico Cocktail".

http://www.pro-cure.com/gel.html

Hank