All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 AM
Predator

Granite Goliath is on a distinguished road
Default A Day of WTF!!'s

First WTF was launching out into fog that turned thicker before it burned off. I thought it was going to be sunny

Took 2 rods today. On the left is 4# carolina rig. Some rod combo I bought for $15 and gave a $30 paint job to, benefits of running your own company. But, put a trout reel on it.

On a sidenote I only do charity work now, not looking for business

On the right is 6# dropshot by SYthe Creations, thank you SY I'm going to retire that rod one day

fibrelessfish and I started working Hali Hall, came across some smelt or baitfish being chased by a school of football YFC's. We started keeping track of our fish count, but started losing count by the time we crossed the channel into Bass Pass

Second WTF was seeing this bird. Looking at it I thought it was a hawk, it's a cheap camera so pic doesn't do it justice

It had brown wings, a white chest and a mask looking face. Beak and tail looked hawkish too

After the hawk, Alan hooks up a double. Not a double hookup as in 2 rods 2 fish, but one rod and one octopus and one crab WTF

I was too late to get the pic, but saw the octopus, big one too. Doc Oc stuck to the underneath of the kayak for a bit

Across the channel we hooked more football size YFC's. I taped one at 13 inches. I also had a huge spotfin croaker, but Alan kindly released it for me

That is, I had 4# line and he pulled the leader and the leader snapped All you could do was laugh, which I did. I thought it was ironic to help, but then lose the fish. In all truth I should have retied the knot anyway. I knew it was about time to.

Alan with a legal sandie and his own homemade kayak cart, pretty cool and worth a WTF!! only $25 in materials too

I caught a legal sandie too. Water cleared from last week's 39 cent coffee (black) into something more greenish. As such you could work a retrieve.

I pumped some grass shrimp and ghost shrimp, Alan brought clams and just a few caught on camo worm. The camo worm worked for a bit, then went cold

We just about lost count, then finally did it at Perch Pile. We make up our own names for the places so we have a reference to plan our next fishing adventure

Caught some 12 inch and 11 inch perch. Some looked like smallmouth bass I see on TV. Great fighters and you have to work 'em fast before they get into the rocks and mussels and SNAP goes your line. A few even burn drag

One WTF was a legal calico, caught a few dimes (10 inches and a dime a dozen), but a legal without kelp was cool.

Final WTF was getting a fish out of the pilings by brute force, causing the fish to fly through the air, having it come off the hook to only bouncy on the kayak and ultimately in the kayak. I wouldn't believe it if I didn't do it
Old 12-01-2008, 09:28 AM
Free Swimmer

kayaker is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Day of WTF!!'s

Very cool report and pics!
Old 12-02-2008, 12:37 PM
Home Guard

Iceman is on a distinguished road

pretty sure the bird is an osprey, have a regular here at Huntington Harbor. They are fish eaters.

Old 12-03-2008, 09:11 AM
Home Guard

landwhale is on a distinguished road

Good to see you got the pic thing going and thanks for another great report