All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-15-2007, 10:12 PM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough
Default Nph 5/15/07

Hey all,

Well for my 2nd trip to NPH, I am feel that I'm getting a little better. I got on the water at 1130 today. I launched from the pch bridge again. The interesting thing is a saw just 1 smelt sort of sleeping like so I grabbed it to use for bait. Anyway after launching I start to work the bridge area for 6 spotties. There was no size to them all about 10 or 11 inches. But the funny thing is after a while I hook on that smelt and carolina rigged it between the 3rd and 4th bridge supports. Well what do ya know BAM fish on. This fish was pulling really well, definatly a halibut. Well imagine my face when I see this fish. I net him to be sure about him being legal or not. Well I use the lip grippers so I can take the hook out and measure it out to be 21 inches. Well maybe next time (1 more inch) ugh. I decided to make a move now and do some exploring so I head for the front of the bay. I was hoping to find some smelt but no luck. On the way there I got a few more spotties and a short barrie on the troll. I finally get to the gas station next to davies to find no smelt anywhere. So now I decide to head back to the pch bridge again, BAM another small halibut on the troll. I finally get back to the bridge for 2 more spotties. As my final drift is about to start I tried the drop shot and got the smallest sandie I have ever caught maybe 4 inches. It ate a 3" bass trix smelt ..... wow. Well its getting to be after 6 now so I head in and call it a day.

Day tally
2 halibut 21 & 12 inches
1 barrie best guess 24 inches
1 sandie 4 inches
10+ spotties. 10-11 inches

Finally a great day on the water

Tight lines and paddle well,

Jon

ps. thanks for the info guys.

jonee523
Old 05-16-2007, 09:21 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nph 5/15/07

Great job getting out. I usually launch from North Star Beach and fish down the bay to the PCH bridge and a bit beyond. If you catch an outgoing tide out and fish back on incoming you hardly have to paddle (or in my case, peddle). Lots of mostly short halis, some good croaker and near the bridge, bass.

I'm waiting for my fish finder cable then will get out again. Love to fish with you.

Steve
Old 05-17-2007, 06:19 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Nph 5/15/07

Congrats on the fish It definitely sounds like it was a good day for you out there. How do you like your Shimano Curado 200DPV? I took out my 300 I just bought with Ed and Ron and really liked it. As far as the reel goes though, it's the nicest reel I own, hands down. Good Fishing,
PerryC.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Last edited by PerryC; 05-17-2007 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Spelinn
Old 05-17-2007, 11:24 PM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Nph 5/15/07

Perry,

That 200dpv is much better than I could have hoped. It handled the halibut no problem what so ever. I actually pre fished it at perris from shore and it pulled in the bass 2-3lbs no problem at all. I even went out and got it little brother (cu100d) for 6lb line class. Much better for the smaller swim baits. So now I have a matching set of custom graphite usa and curados. SWEET..... As I built the rods I guess I'm partial....lol

Tight lines and paddle well,

Jon

jonee523

Ps. Your 300 must be nice, if its like my 2 smaller versions then it will serve you very well on the "bigger fish" for sure.