All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-15-2007, 08:58 AM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default The Wall with Perry & Ron

Took the boat out again last night and fished the Wall with Perry and Ron Buhler, owner of Edge Fishing Products.

The night started out great with us landing about 6 quality calicos in the first 20 minutes.

Things slowed down to a slow pick for the rest of the night. We fished the outside and inside for about 15+ calicos and 1 sandbass. Not counting about 6 breakoffs of what looked to be big fish.

Hot bait of the night was the Black and Chartreuse Condor covered in Hot Sauce on a 3/4 oz weedless leadhead.

I had also made a few skirted jigheads and fished the Condors on that most of the night and had really good success with that setup. Also got a few on the inside tossing a skirted twintail grub in dark purple with purple flakes.

Ron scored the big fish of the night

Thanks Perry it was good company and fishing last night!!!

I'll let Perry tell the tale about the kamakazi pelicans last night...

Ed
Old 05-15-2007, 07:20 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: The Wall with Perry & Ron

WTG on the nice calico!
Old 05-17-2007, 07:08 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

Ed,
It's always nice getting out fishing and getting schooled by you. This trip, I got to get schooled by not one but two very good bass anglers After Edge Products being a sponsor for the last couple of years, it was nice to meet the owner also. His baits are one hot ticket for bass also. We used the Condors against the wall, but I've used the smaller Conrad's in the bays with good success. Personally, I got a few bass and a fat sculpin. The bass were fun, and the sculpin was dead still until it came time to depart off my hook.

The pelican incident was weird. We were going parallel to the jetty making a move and there are hundreds upon hundreds of pelicans that stay on the breakwall at night. If you motor by the jetty sometimes as soon as one takes off, they all do. So were cruising along, Ed is driving and I'm standing next to him on the jetty side. All of a sudden the pelicans take flight and there are so many it looks like a bee hive emptying out. No problem, their flying up and over us a good distance, except for one. I look ahead to my right and see something moving level with the rocks. Then I realize it's flying right at me! I said something like "My Gosh" and I turn inward as not to get hit in the face by it. Ed sees me turn and immediately throttles down the boat. Well, the poor thing hit the side of the boat next to me so hard it was one of the loudest thuds I've ever heard. We all turn around and this pelican is fluttering in the water. After about 30 seconds, this pelican takes flight and flies off just like nothing happened. We all sorta looked at eachother like "Did that just happen"?

PerryC.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-18-2007, 10:17 AM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road

No problem Perry, we'll do it again sometime.

As for your quote "I said something like 'My Gosh' ", close enough as this is a "G" rated site

I thought for sure that bird put a hole in the side it hit so hard. Checked the next day and couldn't find the "dent".

Hoping to get to Clemente (backup plan Catalina) tomorrow and try for some of those big Clemente bass and even a YT or WSB if we get lucky.

Ed
Old 05-18-2007, 03:33 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

Oh yea San Clemente bassin. That there's some good stuff maynard...

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube