All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-13-2007, 07:33 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road
Default No bananas 5/13

Jackie and I fished Tidelands today. Launched around 7 and shortly after a slight onshore breeze picked up. Never really warmed up today but at least the wind and the tides were working together.

Started of the day tossing the spinnerbaits for a couple for spotties, no pictures because they were just average sized. Jackie started her day off a little bit different, I’ll let her explain.

So who knew that a little yellow piece of fruit that cute little monkeys like to eat could create such havoc to a fisherman! Next time it’ll listen. I decided to bring a banana as a snack while out on the water. Bob warned me not too … but I being the optimist couldn’t believe a curse would follow on a kayak! Believe me when I say it does! As I was wheeling my kayak to the launch site my kayak fell off the wheels … should have realized then what I was in store for. Got out on the water and as soon as I started casting my baitcaster, I had nothing but back lashes – we all have a few, but not every cast. Then as I’m reeling my line back in, I notice it’s caught across the back end of my boat and tangled in the handle. I decide to pull my line up and over the other two rods which would have fixed the problem easy enough … oh no … I then get my line tangled in my spinner bait and had to have Bob come over and help me fix it. I’m back to fishing again and hear Bob yell, hook-up. I look over to see what he has, all the while reeling in my line when it all of a sudden stops. I look down and have the biggest mess I’ve ever seen. My line somehow got all wrapped around the star drag and my reel handle … no way it could be the banana I’m thinking to myself. I couldn’t fix the mess so I cut the line and put my rod away. I pick up the next one and as I’m casting forward I catch the rod behind me which breaks my lure and it goes flying into the wild blue yonder. That’s it, the banana has to go! I reach behind to get it out of my pouch and fling that thing as far as it could go. Next cast after the banana was gone and guess what … fish on! The rest of the day was a breeze. I had lots of fun catching! Who knew!

After the banana tossing, Jackie and I moved to the south side of the bridge. Still using the spinnerbaits and picking away at them. Some aluminum skiff jockey sets up right next to me. He had the whole fricken bay to set up but this guy decides to start a drift right next to me. I figure OK; I’ll take the high road and move on. So I make a move closer in near the amphib base to set up my next drift. This skiff jockey (S.J.) then proceeds to motor up full blast and cut right in front of me to set up his next drift. I’m surprised my swimbait didn’t get caught in his prop. The same S.J. through out the morning repeated the bonehead maneuver several times throughout the morning. He had the whole flats to maneuver on, some people are so oblivious. I’m done *****ing. Caught a couple YFC on chartreuse swimbait, this being the average size.

Jackie got this one on a spinnerbait.

The wind started picking up around 11 so we headed back over towards the bridge. We were both catching one here and there. Nothing to exciting, the wind really started kicking up around noon so we headed in.

BC
Old 05-13-2007, 09:00 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: No bananas 5/13

Thanks for the report guys. I guess we all had a few issues this weekend. Next weekend will be better.

Robert
Old 05-13-2007, 09:55 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: No bananas 5/13

Thanks for the report as always Sorry to hear about the banana, but at least you didn't do a Popeye paddle like we did. You should have asked the boater if he had his own fish finder, or if he just planned to follow to around all day,LOL.

BTW, that's why I changed some of the forums here so lurkers can't read all the reports and cherry pick them. I would like to see us get a fair chance at catching fish before others in boats are called in by friends of friends, or lurkers who just want to scrape information from these forums without giving anything back in return to help others.

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road

Man it kills me when people do that.

I had one idiot in a tin boat pull up on me in HH last summer, no joke 5 feet off my kayak bow. No other boats and only a freind I was yaking with in the harbor that night. Our lines got tangled, I reeled in his swimbait and bit off the line. He didn't have any idead where his swimbait went.

I paddled by him and threw his bait in his boat and he goes, "Thanks, fishing is pretty good over here, we've been watching you catch fish." No f*cking clue whatsoever!!!!

Then last year in an SWBA tourney, I am fishing HH in my boat and who pulls up 10 feet off my stern in HH and starts throwing bait?? You got it, same moron in the metal boat and still no clue.

We said a few choice words to him, after first asking him nicely to back off, and then he moved. Of course I had my partner in the boat with me who is about 6'5" and has fists larger than my head.

On the positive side, it's warming up, fishing is getting better and the warm waether boatnik crowd is getting ready to flock to the seashore and make our lives miserable

Ed
Old 05-14-2007, 05:56 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

On the positive side, it's warming up, fishing is getting better and the warm waether boatnik crowd is getting ready to flock to the seashore and make our lives miserable

You've got that right Ed! When I fish the bay from now on this Summer I'm starting early! I'm talking being on the water fishing no later than 6:00 A.M.
That way I can get at least 4 hours of quality fishing in without having to
dodge all those goofballs in their sailboats. I'm sick of them!

Robert
Old 05-14-2007, 07:41 PM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the report Beach. Bummer to hear about the brainless SJ and the whole banana incident. I can relate to dealing with a few boneheads during a day out kayak fishing. On Friday I must have got too close to the Coast Guard vessel at Newport and one of sailors asked me if I had a bomb and I was fishing too close. All he had to say was to fish a little further away. No problem. Do you have a bomb? I should have told him I wasn't holding a bomb but if he keeps running his mouth I'd toss a few banana's on board.

Hank

Old 05-14-2007, 08:18 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road

Man, seems like there are clueless skiff jockeys everywhere.

With just a little consideration and teamwork everyone can have a good time and catch fish.

Better times are ahead my friends.

BC
Old 05-16-2007, 09:32 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

What is the distance from Navy and Coast Guard boats? Is it 100 yards?

There are a lot of people being paid very well to enforce the security so be careful what you say and to whom you say it.

Steve
Old 05-16-2007, 06:37 PM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road

I know better than to say the wrong thing. Given the whole 9/11 security concerns. This is the vessel that sits in front of the Coast Guard Station. I always see people fishing well within 100 yards. I'm not going to get worked up about it. I'll just keep my distance.

Hank

Old 05-17-2007, 07:30 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: No bananas 5/13

Hank,
I'm with you. I keep my distance from government vessels and facilities now. A few years before 9/11 my friend Pfish drifted into the sub repair area in San Diego when we were night fishing. This was before they had any type of buoy line or anything. He had his back to the dock, so he wasn't aware of how close to a moored sub he really was. The fact is he could have hit it with a swimbait. I saw what was going on and I went in to get him out before he got into trouble. Well....the guards saw us and came running down the gangplank, and they were not empty handed. It was a very tense moment for all involved to say the least.

Last year, I was at Huntington Harbor one night and saw the gun boat came hauling out of the base and take control of a small boat that had entered restricted area. They turned it over to the harbor Patrol along with the occupants. So not pushing a distance issue, may be a good piece of advice

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube