All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 01-07-2017, 03:07 PM
Baitfish

EButler0042 is on a distinguished road
Default First Kayak Help

I am looking to buy my first kayak ever. I have never been on one in my life and I want to be able to do a lot of fishing. I am looking for something sturdy as I am a bigger guy (about 220 pounds).

I have really been looking hard at the Ascend FS128T from Bass Pro Shops. The reviews are nix nix. Some are good and some are bad. But for the most part they seem to be good reviews. I have ready that the hatches leak a little. But a little silicone can fix that so that's not too big of a deal.

What are some thoughts on this kayak?

Are there other kayaks in the same price range that are comparable, or do I have to go over $1000 to find something close?

I have done a lot of research on the Ascend and I think it will be what I end up getting if something better does not come along. I have watched tons of YouTube videos and it seems to be a damn good kayak.

Any and all input is welcome here. Thank you in advance.
Old 01-29-2017, 03:16 PM
Baitfish

BryanB is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Kayak Help

Hi E.
A buddy of mine has one, fishes on our lake with it. He's pretty tall too (6'4, 240). Never has had any trouble with stability. Hasn't had any real trouble with the dry hatches either - or at least hasn't said anything to me about it.

He did complain about the seat getting some rust. For the price it seems like a solid ride.

Hope that helps.

Bryan
Old 10-25-2017, 04:24 AM
Baitfish

Mike is on a distinguished road
Default Re: First Kayak Help

Looks like a reasonable kayak to me. If it is your first kayak ever why don't you look for any best kayak for beginners ? Just wondering. Anyways, in this budget you can find many other kayaks too. May be you can look for Malibu X-factor sit-on-top kayak that can hold up to 625 pounds. I am 6'3 and 205 pounds and it works fine for me. Best in terms of stability, maneuverability and cargo space.