All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 05-01-2007, 08:57 PM
Baitfish

fishnflute is on a distinguished road
Default Kayak Accesory Plate

I have see many of these plates in the picture portion of this website but for the life of me I cannot get one to work. I fish the Columbia river in Washington and can pull in some pretty big fish so the bungee cords didn't hold well. I don't understand the mounting something in the lip and then the cutting board to that...it's all a mystery to me. I have a WS Pamlico 100 and love it but would really like this set up. Any help is very appreciated!
Old 05-01-2007, 09:44 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Kayak Accesory Plate

Welcome to our website Are you referring to these photos from the rigging section? If you are, IMHO while plates like these may have applications for trout and smaller species while using a rod holder, unless the bungee was super tight, there may be too much play in it to really hold these down when alot of torque is applied to a rod holder per say. I think using these for a fish finder mount only may be the best application when larger more powerful fish are involved. With larger fish, I think a flush or deck mount of some type like a Scotty is still the best way to go with a recreational kayak. In the end, these may be good for some applications but maybe not your particular situation.

Perry
Attached Images

Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-02-2007, 06:31 PM
Baitfish

theyorkieterror is on a distinguished road

Fishnflute, Looking at Perry's rid looks ideal setting. If that won't work look at the cutting boards for the big boats use and adapt. Would the squeeze clamp help in holding the board in place. I love Perry's tackle box addition. If there is a hangover of the cutting board I would test being able to exit the boat without trapping myself. Lex-and is a choice and get it custom fitted at the glass store. Could you put up dimensions you want?
Old 05-02-2007, 09:07 PM
Baitfish

I really like the cutting board idea and completely understand that the bungees wouldn't hold it on the kayak. The Pamlico has a very long cockpit so exit isn't a problem (it is about three times the size of a white water cockpit and I can get out of those PDQ). I have a Scotty rod holder but don't want to mount it on the side of the cockpit for interference with my paddle stroke and would have a hard time reaching it if it was mounted at the tip of the cockpit. My thought was screwing it into the lip of the cockpit somehow and having a ful 12x15" cutting board to work with but this is where I'm having trouble figuring out a mounting system. While in Montana I plan on fly fishing a lot out of it like some use drift boats and while in Washington on the Columbia I'll probably be bass/catfishing....after some practice maybe go for some real big ones. I hope this helps everyone picture better what I'm trying to work with.

THANKS!!!
Old 05-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough

FF,
I wonder if a Johnny Bar may be what you're looking for now that I have a little better idea of the applications you want to use it with. Here is a link to the page with some different views on different kayaks. You can get the contact information and talk voice with them, John at Southwind has a pretty good grasp of kayak fishing and the different accessories and such and could help you out. They carry all the fishing ccessories you my need also even if you don't see them listed on their website.

Kayak Fishing Gear, Kayak Fishing Classes, Kayak Fishing Tournaments - Johnny Bar, Scotty Rod Holders and Accessories, Crack of Dawn - Newport Beach, Orange County, California - Southwind Kayak Center

Hope this helps,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-03-2007, 01:07 PM
Baitfish

A Johnny Bar would work well too. Thanks for the help Perry!