All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-23-2006, 09:15 AM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default LB Spottie & Lightening Show Report - 7/22

Went out with Ryan, my oldest son, last night for a bit of spottie fishing. Went back to the same area we had so much success at a few weeks ago.

Paddled out at around 6:30pm with ominous signs of thunderheads all around us.

Pulled up a few yards from a PB'er, who was fishing live bait out into the harbor and cast into the shore area. Bam, nice 2lb spottie. One of the guys in the boat goes, "Are you Sh*ting me??? We've been here 2 hours and haven't caught a single spottie, We've been fishing the wrong way". We got a good laugh out of that one

Moved around a bit and started picking up a few here and there and then the ocean reminded us who is in charge. Within 5 minutes the harbor went from dead calm to 15-20+ mph winds, full white cap adventure.

I tied Ryan off to my yak and we paddled for the nearest boat docks. Within 10 minutes, the surface was dead calm again.

We paddled back to where we started and we caught a few nice 2-3lb fish.

Ryan pulled on a few nicer fish and was in awe at how hard such a small fish could pull.

Just as the bite started going full speed we were surrounded by huge lightening bolts. This was really spectacular to watch, but I decided we shouldn't be the highest point on the water any longer. Always tough pulling off a good bite just knowing they are only getting started.

We paddled in while hooting and hollering at the wild lightening show all around us. Took a bit longer to get back to the car as we hugged the boat docks all the way back (the high-point on the water thing again).

We ended up with maybe 15 fish on a storm shortened evening.

What was wild was seeing all the boats race out of the harbor just before sunset only to see them come racing back twice as fast as the storm approached.

Due to the crazy weather I never took the camera out of the dry bag last nice, so no pics for this trip.

Ed