All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 10-08-2006, 08:57 PM
Free Swimmer

Fishyaker is on a distinguished road
Default ACE Hardware DIY cart

Well... this will be my first D.I.Y. and probably not the last. If I think something can be made cheaper with my own hands I usually will. I'll add pics tomorrow afternoon but here's a list of what I used.

1 Axle
1/2"x18" cold roll bar $2.79Name:  axle.JPG
Views: 2800
Size:  3.7 KB

2 1/2"x18" sch 80 pv $3.98
Cut to 11" for axle tube and cross barName:  axle collar crossbar.JPG
Views: 2825
Size:  2.5 KB

2 1/2" collars with allen set screw $4.60

2 1/2"x8" sch 80 pv $2.18
For uprights from axle tube
Name:  axle tube uprights.JPG
Views: 3094
Size:  4.1 KB

2 1/2"x6 sch 80 pv $1.78 (+2 @ .68 cheaper)
For kayak supports
Name:  kayaksupports.JPG
Views: 2604
Size:  3.6 KB

4 1/2" PVC tee fittings $1.16

2 5"x1" with 1/2"center wheels $5.98
Name:  wheels.JPG
Views: 2625
Size:  4.6 KB

______
Total so far.... $22.47

I was originally going to use the scupper holes but had to revise. To finalize I need 2 more 1/2"x6 sch 80 pv @ 1.78 and 2 feet of pipe insulation (hopefully less than a few dollars).

Final product tomorrow evening.

Added costs
2 1/2" pvc saddle clips for crossbar $1.70
2 more 1/2"x6 pv $1.10
6' pipe insulation $1.64

Final Total = $28.91 (I picked up the final items at Home Depot and prices were a bit cheaper ). Maybe I should have gone there first and saved a few bucks.

Final product...Name:  alltogether.JPG
Views: 2796
Size:  8.4 KB

Last edited by Fishyaker; 10-09-2006 at 11:17 PM.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:45 PM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: ACE Hardware DIY cart

How did the final product work out? Were any modifications necessary?
Hank

Old 10-17-2006, 08:49 PM
Free Swimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone_fishing View Post
How did the final product work out? Were any modifications necessary?
Hank
Suprisingly, the final product works as I wanted with no modifications. I'm able to attach the cart using 2 18" bungy cords (one for each side crossing under the support and connected end to end through the scuppers).

Thing I might change if I were to do it again... using 2 more saddle clips instead of the tee fittings for the kayak support bars and 2 appropriate length PVs for the support bars themselves so that there is just one single bar instead of 2 shorter bars connected by the tee. The cart rolls fine on hard surface and is very stable (doesn't shift side to side or front/back).
Old 10-17-2006, 09:34 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

You were wise to revise. You've saved your yak! I think Hobie is the only yak that recommends a scupper cart! If I remember right, you have a cobra. You may wanna cut a pool noodle for cushion pads under the yak, but I suggest you give the ones you have a shakedown test. They might work just fine! I put my strap in the correct configuration on the cart skeleton, and attached it permanently to the cart in position using cable ties. You lean the cart at a 45 degree angle on the ground facing in the direction of the bow, place the yak on the cart,about 1/3 the distance forward from the stern, fasten the strap fairly snugly, then lift the back of the yak up quickly and the cart pops up into positiion. The cart will be in perfect position underneath the yak. No sweat! The bow will be on the ground and the stern in the air when you do this correctly. Finish retightening the strap in the upright position and you're ready to roll. If you ever go out with one of us, we'll demo it! Very simple and no crawling around on the sand under the yak! Piece o cake! Piranha out!
PS, I use the nylon strap with the spring loaded clamp. It's always on the cart and in exactly the right place! THis strap is tighter than Bungees!
Old 10-17-2006, 10:06 PM
Free Swimmer

I'll grab a pic with the cart mounted when I get a chance. How you described the sitting of the yak on the cart is how mine appears :-) Trying to get the right angle for the scuppers on the cobra would have just been a nightmare. With this solution I was able to eyeball the details on my workbench and it fits like a glove.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:13 AM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

When you're haulin your yak back to the car, it's easier if you move anything heavy to directly over the wheels. That lightens the tongue weight you have to lift and puts the full moment of force on the ground! Pulling the yak that way is a piece of cake! Piranha