All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Fresh-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-26-2006, 05:10 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Lake Perris Bass Fishing

Took the float tube and a few rods and plastics to lake Perris to see firsthand how much the water has been drawn down and how the fishing has fared. Heres a shot of the dam where you can see the old waterline.

I got there early in the morning, and there was still a thick layer of haze in the air making it really overcast which was good for the fishing. I called a friend the night before, and he told me about the bass chasing the shad on the surface of the lake, so I threw in my frog colored zara spook for good measure. I launched from the sail cove and started off tossing a spinner bait for casting practice. After a few minutes, and seeing numerous bass chasing shad on the surface, I changed out to the spook and let her fly for no love. I do have to say, I did see the largest bass I have ever seen in person roll on the surface fifty feet away from me. I wouldn't be surprised if someone catches a 10lb bass there. Since the surface was going off, I tied on a 5 inch baby bass senko and fly lined it behind me trolling as I worked the spook. After 10 minutes, the senko rod bends down into the water and I'm on. I have 10lb line on with a buttoned down drag, and this thing isn't coming in peacefully. Closer...closer....the rod goes boing then the senko jerks within vision right below my fins, sans fish

Ok, enough messing around with the spook, time to get serious about this. I put a new unshredded senko back on the one stick, then equipt the other one with a green brush hawg fished weightless. Tossed them both out then got a double. Get the first one on the senko, then after I released that one, I picked up the brush hawg rod and realized it was a bit heavier now, setup and the second bass comes in. They're just cookie cutter size, but it sure beats paddling in the red tide dodging trash bags and couches in Long Beach.
I ended up with 7 bass for the morning, and another tuber had a few more than that, up to about 4lbs.

Vessel of choice for the day...

What can 'ya say...

PerryC.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-27-2006, 07:32 AM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Lake Perris Bass Fishing

Nice reports Admiral!

Too bad on that big fish spitting the hook.

I gotta get back out there soon and fish for them big mouth bass. I am trying to get The Brewmeister to head up to Big Pine with me in 2 weeks.

I emailed you over a few pics of last weeks trip to NPH.

Ed
Old 05-27-2006, 02:05 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Ed,
Newport looks like it was kicking out some bass, Thanks for the photos. I talked to a friend of mine who used to tube Newport chasing spotties alot in years gone bye, and we got to talking about a trip. If you would be interested in tubing the bay poaching the docks and whatnot, lemme know and we'll check the tide charts and get a trip together. See 'ya soon,
Perry

Old 05-27-2006, 05:34 PM
Predator

fishfinder has a spectacular aura about

I want to join you if thats a-ok
Old 05-27-2006, 08:52 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

FF,
You're always welcome on the fishing trips. Until recently, I've been stuck with weekend shifts for the last 6 years and have not been able to fish too much on weekends. However, that has changed so keep visiting the website as I'll be posting some trips fishing Cabrillo, Redondo, Newport, Dana and maybe a float in San Diego. I like to fish from my float tube sometimes, but some of the trips you can fish from either. Cabrillo and Newport is either, Dana by the book is no to both, but it really depends if your making a making a speedbump out of yourself and being in the way of boating traffic or not. Redondo is no to tubes, but kayaks are ok. But there you really need to go out in open water to catch fish though, and it can get bumpy plus you should be able to do a few miles each way. How's the fishing been for 'ya?

Perry

Old 05-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Predator

fishfinder has a spectacular aura about

its been great I've ventured into the sea and out of the bay, its a diffrent game out there. My fishing skills haven't improved much but its just great being out there
Old 05-29-2006, 06:42 AM
Baitfish

JRB is on a distinguished road
Question Re: Lake Perris Bass Fishing

Perry
Looking to purchase a new tube. How do
you like the "Creek Company" tube?
Thanks
John
Old 05-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

John,
I really like this style of float tube better than my old Woodriver Stealthrider. You really notice the ease of kicking compared to a tube where you're more fully in the water. It does not compress down like my old one did, but the material is thicker on the bottom of the tubes and the seat bottom and back has foam in them for comfort. For the price, it would be hard to beat. We just did an update of the more popular float tube models in our float tube section located here http://www.allkayakfishing.com/tube_models/

We listed models from Bucks Bags, Caddis, Creek Company, Outcast, Trout Unlimited and Waterskeeter. I think Woodriver is out of business or something, and Trout Traps I cannot contact anyone to ask, so I dropped both companies products because I'm not sure about the availability of their products. All I know is I'm looking forward to using mine alot more this year and in the "Big Salty" in particular. Talk to you soon,
Perry

Old 05-30-2006, 08:31 AM
Baitfish

JRB is on a distinguished road

Thanks Perry
It was good talking to you.
Thanks for the advice!
John