All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 06-06-2007, 07:59 PM
Baitfish

Will is on a distinguished road
Default Sit On Top question

With sit on top kayaks does your lower body always make some contact with the water, or just certain brands? I am looking to getting a smaller kayak (10-14') to do some fishing at small lakes/ponds while I am at college and low on funds. However being in KS there are some might chilly mornings/evenings in the spring and fall that I would need to stay dry.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sit On Top question

Will,
I would look at something 12.5 ft-14ft. 10 ft is just too short in my opinion. I would also suggest a set of waders you will stay bone dry, unless you decide to take a swim.

Robert
Old 06-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

You can also put in scupper plugs and stay dry! You probably won't take too many big waves over the side in Kansas as long as you stay away from jet skiers and hi speed power boats! We get water over the top here from those sources and large waves! Sometimes I put them(plugs!) in , but on the sea we don't want the water stuck inside the yak. It's crucial that it drains! How low your boat sits in the water will depend on several factors. Mainly they are, the design of the yak, the capacity of the yak, and your weight! I have a Cobra Fish and Dive(600 lb. capacity) and I'm about 6' 1-1/2 " and iunfortunately weigh in at around 275 lbs. Need a diet! but I don't necessarily get a wet butt in my yak! Some yaks are wetter than others. You need to try different models and find one that suits you! Good luck! You'll do fine! Piranha
Old 06-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Sit On Top question

Will,
Welcome to the forums and you got some good advice here. Now, here's where it can get sticky pretty quick with some anglers about wetness with a kayak. Some SOT kayaks will hold more water in the cockpit than other makes or models will. Some will hold it in the seat, some will hold it in the footwells, some in both places. Ocean Kayak on some models has the seat bucket pretty low, which can move the footwells about even with or in some cases below the waterline. Hence, more water in them because it comes in the scupper holes. Malibu Kayaks tends to have the seat higher and thus drier than some brands, also Cobra kayaks also tend to be drier than alot of other brands.

Some anglers say 'Kayaking is a water sport, and expect to get wet". Well, for themselves their right. For everyone, I'm not so sure. There's being wet in some places, then there's having to use scupper plugs so you don't have an inch or so of standing water in the cockpit with you. Some anglers don't mind, and others mind alot. Waders can be a big help to stay dry as long as you observe their safety precautions while using them.

Like WR brought up, maybe you may be better off with another type of watercraft all together. If you don't mind me asking, is it the cost or portability or distance kayaks can cover that makes it appealing? Maybe we can bounce some ideas around and see what we come up with. TC&TL,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 06-07-2007, 08:20 PM
Baitfish

Will is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the information it's helping out alot. I have looked at small boats, my buddy has a 2 man that we take out whenever possible using his truck, but I drive a car so I don't have room for even a smaller boat. I have looked at float tubes, but I would rather stay away from inflatables and having my legs dangling in the water. Being young I could lift the kayak on top of the car (I checked the weight and length with the car and it's good). I am looking for something that can get me off the immediate bank where alot of people fish. The best places are way back deep in the pits which isn't far by water but for walking it's tough with trees,mud,bushes,plants, and poison ivy. I am looking for some way to get back into them. About the wind, most of the strip pits I fish are tucked way back in the woods so it's not a huge problem. A few of the kayaks that have caught my attention are the...
1)Heritage Featherlite Angler
2)Pelican GETAWAY 100 fishing kayak
3)Pelican SOT Castaway

All three can be found at the Academy Sports website Kayaks & Canoes

Thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 10:34 PM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

Many seniors still lift the kayak to the top of the vehicle and there are cartop racks which make it easy with rods that pull out to the side (so you can lift one end at a time).

The Hobie Outback Mirage I fish has a capacity of about 400 pounds and with bait tank and all mine is carrying close to 300 pounds - seat only wet if I take wave over the side (or water runs down a rod or paddle). Foot well gets the back of my pants cuff wet. If you wore dive booties you would have little trouble even in cold water.