All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

View Poll Results: How's June 27 for a tournament to raise cash for the MLPA battle?
Yes - I want to whack fish and raise cash for the KFACA / PSO. Sign me up! 0 0%
Heck yes! - I love LJ so much I'm bringing extra cash 1 100.00%
No thanks, just close La Jolla already. 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-16-2009, 06:31 PM
Free Swimmer

PAL is on a distinguished road
Default KFACA / PSO Benefit tourney June 27 - $$$ for MLPA fight

Let's have some fun at La Jolla while pumping up our war chest for the MLPA fight.

This is a planning discussion, so please jump in with ideas.

Two deals - biggest single fish for the trophy team, and heaviest 3 calicos for the bass crew. Fish to be weighed on the water on the support / photo boat. Beer, sodas, maybe a bbq. How about we invite the spearos too?

June 27 has a nice rising tide and no tournament conflicts as far as I can see. Did I miss something?

Competition and prizes are nice, but the point here is to raise dough to protect La Jolla and our other fisheries. I'm thinking $50 entry, with merchandise prizes for the winners or a modest cash payback. The money will go straight into the MLPA lobbying effort via the KFACA's allies at the Partnership for Sustainable Oceans. If you've been encouraged by recent positive headlines, this is how they happen.

Sound off if you're game. Don't make me post the closure maps to you remind you what's at stake.

Come on with the feedback! Every part of this idea is up for discussion.

Paul
Old 04-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Free Swimmer

PAL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: KFACA / PSO Benefit tourney June 27 - $$$ for MLPA fight

Thanks for the great responses everyone, both here and at other SoCal kayak fishing sites.

I noticed some common threads.

1. Lower entry fee so more people can participate. Let's say $35. Further, we're trying to keep things open for our kids - I say let's get them out there for zero smackers to compete in their own division.

2. People recognize this is a fund raiser with the deadly serious aim of hanging onto our fishing spots. No cash awards, but we'll come up with plaques or trophies for Big Fish, C&R Bass, and Spearo that shout bragging rights. Any artists here? The guys up north at NCKA are great at hand-rolling rewards. I'll dig up a photo or two.

3. I was looking for the easy way out - weigh in, snacks and drinks on the boat. I was wrong! We need to get together on shore somewhere. We'll provide drinks and something basic like Costco dogs. Bringing something potluck style aka Baytubers will be welcome but voluntary.

But here's the big question. Where? We can't do this on the beach in June, its a no-go in summer. Kate Sessions? Mission Bay?

4. Our industry friends are hurting big-time in this economy, so don't expect too much in the way of sponsor prizes. I'm sure we'll have some for a cash raffle or auction. Donated gear will be gratefully accepted for raffle / auction / private party sale - if you're not using it anyway, put it to work to help preserve your future fishing access.

5. I'll come up with something to recognize the most impressive performance of the day - doesn't matter if you skewered it or got it on a Snoopy pole. The crowd will of course have its say.

6. Somebody figure out a name for this thing - please.

One more thing - La Jolla's a long road trip for many at this site. Why not put on your own local contest the same day? If we have more than one location, I'll try to come up with a grand prize that everyone will be eligible for.