All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-30-2007, 12:08 PM
Baitfish

cricketwars is on a distinguished road
Cool Newport Harbor: 5/29/07

what's up everybody. this is my first post.

I've been fishing NPH for the last couple of months with varied success. Lately though, I haven't been having much success from the docks and jetties.

After lots of research, i bought an Ocean Kayak Scrambler XT Angler. This was in hopes that i would be able to improve my fishing and have an amazing summer.

I took it out yesterday for the first time (second time on a kayak, ever. First time fishing from one) I launched at about 12 and got some smelt for bait and mainly to test out the pvc bait tube i just made.

I paddled to about half way down the wedge-side jetty and threw out a smelt on one rod, and started working a 4" grn/red big hammer swimbait. now, up until this point all my saltwater fish had been taken on frozen bait, so when i got a BIG strike on the artificial for the first time it was like nothing else. my first fish on the new boat was a decent sandbass. i was giddy like a little school girl.

Through the rest of the day, i got 4 spotties and another sandbass (my biggest of the day. caught on a live smelt). 6 fish altogether. 5 on a plastic swimbait which was a first for me. All bass were caught on lite gear with 6# test, so the bigger ones felt huge! I didn't have the balls to get my phone out of my hatch to take pictures (still getting used to the boat). but next time for sure!

I'm officially addicted to kayak fishing.

ps. a lot of my success today has to do with forums like this. I've been lurking them for a while and getting some really good advice and tips. i know i have a lot to learn but im off to a good start. thanks guys.

Blake
Old 05-30-2007, 06:16 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Newport Harbor: 5/29/07

Welcome to the forums

Congrats on the kayak. Kayak fishing can be very addicting. All it takes is a few good fish and the simplicity of it and most are hooked in short order. I like to use plastics unless it's sandie or halibut time for dinner or fish tacos.

Do you fish mainly Newport or is just where you ended up this time? A few of us here live in Orange County so we fish it pretty frequently and welcome company. I tend to fish alot in the evenings because of less boat traffic. TC&TL,

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 06-11-2007, 10:14 PM
Baitfish

cricketwars is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newport Harbor: 5/29/07

hey perry. sorry, i didnt even realize my post was responded to until now.

anyway, i do mainly fish newport because i live in irvine. I've been out 5 times now and learn something everytime.

I went out tonight (4-9) and had a decent day with 3 sandies, 1 spottie, and 1 wsb which was my biggest fish of the day and my first ever wsb. I have a feeling there are so many more spots for me to explore, but like i said, im still learning.

what kind of 'yak do you fish? maybe ill see you out there sometime soon.
Old 06-12-2007, 06:52 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newport Harbor: 5/29/07

Hi Blake - call or email me if you want to go out of NPB day or evening. I live straight up 55 in Tustin. Will be in Sea of Cortez until 22nd but ready to go most times.

steve at seaslug.com
Old 06-12-2007, 08:27 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Newport Harbor: 5/29/07

I live in OC and fish a few times a month usually in Newport or sometimes Dana to Cabrillo. I paddle a mango Cobra Marauder and a sunrise Ocean Kayak Malibu2-XL, or an Creek Company float tube. This time of year I try to fish afternoons for the boat traffic and to keep the days free with the family.
I'll be posting beforehand on my trips to see who else wants to tag along. Hope to see you soon,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube