All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 06-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Baitfish

dtf is on a distinguished road
Default Surf Launch

New to this sport, so the learning curve is severe. Have made two beach launches, and each time I'm coming in, just before I jump out to grab the bow line, I toss the paddle which is on a leash. Seem like it is hard on the paddle, must be a better way. What would an experience person do?

Also read a post about deploying the drift shut. I can see good and possible bad things happening.
Old 06-02-2007, 03:19 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Surf Launch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtf View Post
New to this sport, so the learning curve is severe. Have made two beach launches, and each time I'm coming in, just before I jump out to grab the bow line, I toss the paddle which is on a leash. Seem like it is hard on the paddle, must be a better way. What would an experience person do?

Also read a post about deploying the drift shut. I can see good and possible bad things happening.
When I'm launching or landing from any beach or shore, I have the paddle leash attached to my kayak, but NOT the paddle at that point. After I launch, then I'll attach the leash to the paddle and be on my way. If you're in the surf zone and lose your balance, you may be able to use the paddle to steady yourself.

Drift chutes are nice in the right setting where you want to slow a drift or control where your kayak points while in the drift. But, I think you need to be aware that if it gets hung up on something it could be a bad situation for you. When I'm using mine, I'm always aware of kelp and other underwater items it could hang up on, and I always keep a sharp on PWC's or other watercraft when they are around me. I also have mine on a brass snap so I can disconnect it in a hurry if I had to, and a yellow float where the line connects to the chute lines so boaters may be able to see it better. Hope this helps,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 06-02-2007, 03:58 PM
Baitfish

Default Re: Surf Launch

When you jump out to grab the bowline, what do you do with the paddle? Take it with you, or leave it in the kayak. Also the shute was to be tied to the rear of the kayak, thus keeping you straight to the beach when you come in??
Old 06-02-2007, 06:36 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Surf Launch

Dtf,
Before I land, I have disconnected my paddle leash from the paddle. When I get off the kayak, I have my paddle in one hand, then grab the handle/bowline with the the other one. This is just my routine and I'm not saying it's the best one there is, just one that works for me.

As far as the drift chute goes, I only use mine during actually fishing. I never have a drift chute in the water attached to the kayak when landing. I don't think this would be a safe practice at all because it would be like trying to paddle and maneuver a kayak with a 5 gallon bucket in the water creating drag. You would lose some of your ability to maneuver when you could need it the most. Hope this helps,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 06-03-2007, 03:57 AM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

Dtf
Perry is right about not having anything dragging in the water when you land a kayak in the surf. Imagine having a paddle leash get caught around you in the surf zone while the surf tosses your Kayak around like a bath toy. There is more power there than one could imagine That, could be big trouble. Not to mention it is possible to break a paddle shaft this way. As far as having a drift chute deployed while trying to land in the surf, I would not recommend that either. Imagine what could happen if you have the chute deployed and have a wave overtake you as you are trying to land and have the wave pass over you from behind instead of under you. You will not have time to gain momentum again before the next wave hits if you are still aboard. I may not be the authority here but I have had quit a bit of experience over the years dealing with surf entry and exit in small craft and with dive gear on. The thing I have learned (the hard way) is this, You may already know the waves move in sets. Between each set there is about a twenty or thirty second interval before the next set rolls in. You should watch the waves before you launch to determine the number of waves that will pass in a set before the interval. When making your entry time the sets and get aboard and paddle like mad during the interval before the next set rolls through. You can actually clear the surf before the next set comes in. If you are not out of the zone in time you will have enough momentum up to punch right through the next wave if you do get caught. When making your exit sit outside the surf zone and time your sets the same way. Give yourself a little bit of a run before you actually enter the surf zone and build up some speed. Time your exit so you can come in on the back of the last wave of the set as it breaks. As you are landing on the beach ride as far up as you can and hope off paddle in hand and drag your kayak up on the beach. If you end up sideways on your approach you can use your paddle to brace on the seaward side of the kayak and just let the wave bring you in. If you do fall off at least you wont be between the kayak and the beach. There is some good information on this at www.kayakdiving.com/ Mark Theobald has a book out that covers the subject that you can get at this site. Just make sure you have everything secure on board in case you do crash land. Some times when things are dropped in the surf they disappear forever. I hope this helps.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:35 AM
Baitfish

Thanks a lot for your thoughts and advice.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:37 PM
Dirty Scoundrel

Black Jack is on a distinguished road

Do whatever is easy for you, the leash is made to take the abuse. Just toss it if you have to and if it brakes it brakes, se la vi. The last thing I want to worry about in the surf is what to do with my paddle, it's crunch time, do or die, so get er dun!
Old 06-10-2007, 09:50 AM
Moss Back

The paddle leash breaking is the least of concen in the surf. It is however strong enough to snap composite paddle shaft just by the drag created by the paddle. More important is the damage the paddle leash can do to you if you crash in the surf zone and end up tangled in the leash or a line.

This is why I would not recommend this method to a begginer who has not experienced the damage a loose kayak in the surf can cause.
Attached Images

Old 06-11-2007, 03:33 PM
Baitfish

I think that disconecting the paddle and takeing it with you when you jump out to grab the bowline, makes sense. If you need two hands, the paddle floats.
Old 06-11-2007, 10:08 PM
Moss Back

I have a friend that likes to jab the blade of the paddle into the sand and let it stand there like a post at the exit point. That seems to work ok to keep the paddle around but may cause some wear on the blade tip. I don't do it with mine because I can't afford a new one anytime soon. He has not had any problems with it though.