All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 02-19-2013, 10:13 AM
Baitfish

Location: Currently, Port Washington, NY - soon to be Manhattan Beach, CA (hopefully)
Fish Taco is on a distinguished road
Default New guy to the site - from Long Island, NY

Hello everyone!

Thought I'd take a moment here and introduce myself to the crowd. I just discovered this site today while researching kayak fishing organizations, clubs, etc. in Southern California online.

I'm a former Southern California native myself. Born in San Francisco, relocated to Los Angeles at a young age, relocated again to San Diego at age 11 where I remained until I got married some 14 years later and moved back to L.A. Wife & I lived in and around L.A. for about 16 years before moving out east to NY for my wife's job 11 years ago. We ended up buying an old Victorian home in a waterfront community on Long Island while my wife commuted into Manhattan each day. I've spent the better part of the last 9 years or so trying to learn the saltwater fishery out here (still learning) and it is very different than what I grew up fishing in San Diego and L.A. Just as I'm starting to get better at it, looks like my wife's job is taking us back again to L.A. So much for Striped Bass, Bluefish, Fluke, and Tog... oh well.

In summer of 2011 I hooked up with CJ from OEX Mission Bay and purchased a Malibu Stealth 14 and had CJ do all the rigging before shipping it back to me in NY. It's pretty tricked out and everything I wanted (pretty much) on my first fishing kayak. (Click on this link http://youtu.be/wI-iJdI_mco to see a short video they made of it before they shipped it to me) This yak was a belated gift from my wife for my 50th B-day from a few yrs ago... and was sort of "in lieu" of buying the fishing boat I'd always dreamed of having. Once I tried yak fishing with a friend in Florida I was hooked and wanted my own fishing kayak - so I didn't hold back when choosing my accessories. Anyway, spent the better part of last season just getting used to it and kayak fishing in general, even though I've fished fresh and salt most of my life... yak fishing was new to me.

Out here where I live, we have a lot of protected waters to fish from... estuaries, bays, inlets, etc... and we have the North Shore of Long Island Sound, as well as the bays and Atlantic Ocean on the Southern side of Long Island. I've mostly been fishing the North Shore near my home. Because I enjoy fly fishing, and just got into saltwater fly fishing I wanted to learn to do it from my yak - hence the additional "Stand N' Fish" system on my yak (pontoons & leaning post). In addition, I wanted to have the extra safety and convenience of a electric motor (mostly for stemming the tide, but also as a backup to move quickly if I needed it) so CJ installed a BassYaks 46# thrust motor on my yak as well.

I may have to certainly adjust and/or make a few changes by moving back to the beaches of the Pacific since it seems like most situations call for a surf launch or paddling out past breakwalls from harbors (i.e. - Redondo Beach Harbor, etc.)

I'm going to miss trolling the "tube & worm" for big Stripers here in Manhasset Bay & Hempstead Harbor, but I'm excited to be back to targeting halibut once again. Best yet, I'll finally be able to use the built-in live well on my Stealth 14 since live bait is readily available out there.

I belong to a club out here... the KFA-NY (Kayak Fishing Association of New York) and it's been a great experience and a great group of guys. I'm going to really miss that when I move back. These guys are very sharing and helpful to each other and get out a lot to fish together too.

I don't know if there is any kayak fishing clubs or organizations in the South Bay area of L.A. or not... thus far my searches on the Internet have come up empty. San Diego of course has something going on, but they are the epicenter of kayak fishing I believe too. I didn't see anything in Manhattan Beach, Hermosa Beach, or Redondo Beach specifically.

If anyone knows of any kayak fishing clubs or organizations that might be helpful to a new guy moving back, and living in the South Bay for the first time - please drop me a message and let me know, okay? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks!

Wife's new job begins March 4th in the Century City area (hence the relo to South Bay, good schools, easy commute, etc.) and she will be commuting between L.A. & NY until my two teenage boys are done with school for this school year in June - then hopefully we'll get the house sold and move out there by July. It's going to be a very stressful 5 months or so ahead of me, but hopefully this this web site and forum will provide a nice distraction when I need it!

Nice to meet you all... hope to learn a lot while I'm here!

Tight lines!

*Soon to be relocating to the South Bay (i.e. - Manhattan, Hermosa, or Redondo Beach this summer)

Last edited by Fish Taco; 02-19-2013 at 11:26 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 AM
Baitfish

WildernessWomen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New guy to the site - from Long Island, NY