All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Fishing Kayaks Forums > All Ocean Kayaks

Old 07-16-2006, 08:06 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

Most of you who are reading this have already seen the shots on the net of the new kayak being introduced by Ocean Kayak, the Prowler Big Game. It looks in the same class as the Cobra Fish-N-Dive and the Malibu Kayaks xFactor. And from what I have seen, it looks like a very well thought out kayak that should do well for anglers.

Below are a few photos of it:

This looks like maybe Jeff Krieger from Rhynobar in the near kayak, maybe Jim Sammons in the middle kayak, and MO in the far kayak. Jeff is a pretty good sized guy, so you can see how the kayak will fit someone over 6 feet tall and about 250lbs and above.

The cockpit view shows the business end of things. First is the ample size front hatch which is nice for sliding rods and fish below deck. Next is the mounting area in front of the anglers feet for mounting your Rhynobar, or Scotty triple bar or anything else you can come up with. Up front also are 2 round flats for rod holders like flush mounts, scottys or ram mounts. The console lid flips up exposing a storage tray or keeping commonly used smaller items in front of you within easy reach. Moving rearwards a first for OK is the hatch directly in front of the seat bucket which is ultra handy for frequently used items. In back of the seat bucket are 2 round flats for flush mounted rod holders, then the familiar tankwell setup from the prowlers. The storage container holder and ample tankwell. And one of the items I like most even in a kayak this size is the ability to install a rudder. While open for extended debates if one actually needs a rudder or not, I like them when the side winds come up causing most kayaks to weathercock, or while offshore or doing extended drifts.

If you want to paddle one or put your hands on one in the Los Angeles or Orange Counties, Paddle Power Kayaks in Newport Beach has them in stock and can be reached at 949-675-1215, or in Los Angeles Xstreamline Sports in San Pedro also has them and can be reached at 310-514-9514.

I am also going to be getting one to demo, and will be using it to fish from very soon. If you want to wet a line, I could bring it and let you use it to fish from so you can see first hand how they are. If you want to try this out, please email or PM me here. TC&TL,
PerryC.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Last edited by PerryC; 08-01-2006 at 07:47 PM. Reason: speling
Old 07-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

Looks like a nice fishing platform. I like the fact that it has the foot rests and the flat floor vs the moulded in footwells. That hatch between your legs is nice too. I really miss having one like that on my Tarpon. All kayak manufactures need to take notice of this. Small hatches of any kind are 1000% worthless! All they do is make you mad! All in all it looks like a nice yak. As far as a rudder thing goes. I find it funny that the majority of the people who tell me " You don't need a rudder with that kayak" probably have never even paddled a kayak with a rudder before. I can tell you that they help your manuverability as well as your tracking in adverse conditions. Rudders make kayaking way more enjoyable. I will never own another sit on top kayak without a rudder again.

Robert
Old 07-19-2006, 04:51 AM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

This is a nice kayak. I am trading in my Drifter for one this weekend or next depending on my work schedule. If anyone is considering buying an Ocean Kayak in Orange County, I recommend talking to Jim Smiley at Paddle Power in Newport Beach. They have great service even after the sale. I have been dealing with Jim and his wife Julie for over a year and the service is always great.
Old 05-07-2009, 05:33 PM
Baitfish

ChefYak09 is on a distinguished road

Just got an 08 Big Game. The kayak is awesome!! I am almost 6 feet and 250# and I can stand and throw a cast net out of it!! Very stable!!! Couldn't be happier!!
Old 05-14-2009, 03:24 PM
Baitfish

redfish is on a distinguished road

How do ya'll transport those long boat ,on a trailer or what?
Old 05-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Baitfish

ChefYak09 is on a distinguished road

I just put down my tailgate and tie it in and off I go..............
Old 07-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Baitfish

Ranana_Alef is on a distinguished road
Default Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

Selling my 08 Prower 13, hard to find Lime Green, with rudder. Purchased new this May with normal wear for a season. The Prowler 13 is a stable platform with great speed and perfect for all levels. One of the most popular fishing kayaks used on the east coast and beyond. Perfect for paddlers up to 230lb with 36" leg inseam. Selling to make room for another Prowler in 09. Just add fish finder and go. Retail price with rudder 1100. Sell for 675. Includes your choice of Scotty rod holder: Fly Rod, Spin, Cast, or universal. Can demo in Winthrop.
Old 07-16-2009, 06:54 AM
Baitfish

Billy C is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Re: Ocean Kayak Prowler Big Game

My 09 update..

After reading and research I decided to buy the Prowler Big Game..(mango)

My reasons were..
1.My weight...370 on a good day..Doctor says exercise more...
2. Stability..NO FEAR...
3. Dealer within 60 miles...I live in Mn.

After 2 weekends of playing around and fishing on it.

1. It handles my weight easily..a little water in the back ..no flood.
A dry seat ..a smidge of water in the foot wells..mainly in hole for transducer.More water from my poor padddle tech.

2. Stable? Yes..I can sit sideways..turnaround..and feel safe.My conditions ranged from calm on lake to 3 ft boat wakes....Which I like to surf on..

3. Took a week to get..dealer walked me through process...

Some other thoughts..
I have size 13 wide shoe..No problem.
6' 2'' barefoot...my pegs are on the last setting...maybe slide pegs in and use last 4 inches if you are longer.

Heavy..? yes but I expected this..bought a cart for hauling around.
Takes a couple of strokes to get moving..tracks well and glides nicely at rest. Some hull slap ...but not bad.
Center storage is a joke..tackle box is a waste.
The center hatch (optional ) is almost under my rather large butt..I can't see it as a benifit...I didnt order it.

Cutting the longer hatch open is a option I have seen..for those wishing to store long rods for surf entry.

My wife likes it ..she's 5' 2'' and 110..and draws about 1 inch of water on it.
Her wilderness Ripper is easier for her...
Note ..I sank it when I sat on it.

Ask questions and watch.I will up date... soon.

River running up next.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:35 AM
Baitfish

oceanfisher2 is on a distinguished road

nice
Old 12-01-2009, 08:23 PM
Predator

spencerssf is on a distinguished road

Thats a nice Yak!