All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 01-01-2010, 11:45 AM
Baitfish

debowhunter is on a distinguished road
Default New Guy needs help

Hi! New guy looking for help. I want try fishing from a kayak. Two models that I am interested in are the Old town Vapor XT and add fishing accessories myself. Plus my wife has one and loves it, the other is the Ocean Kayak Trident II. My main concern is I want something stable and dry. I will mainly be fishing from it in the Susquehanna River and a couple small lakes in Lancaster PA with the occasional trip down to the Chesapeake Bay. I have about 1200 to spend which one would be a better match and is a sit on top more stable fishing platform? From what I can tell most guys go to them. Thanks for any help to guide my decision.
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM
Predator

spencerssf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: New Guy needs help

You should probley get a sit on top kayak and if you want to save $$$ on a kayak you should probley look on cragslist. I have had some pretty good deals on there. If you need more help with anything email me at spencerssf@gmail.com thanks, I hope cragslist will help
Old 01-03-2010, 09:39 AM
Home Guard

landwhale is on a distinguished road

Living on the West Coast I fish mainly oceans and bays. The use of sit insides here is small harbors with 5mph speed limits and lakes. I myself would not tackle ffice:smarttags" />lace w:st="on">Chesapeake Baylace> in a sit inside. My suggestion is that you find a kayak shop that has rentals or demos you need to feel confident safe and comfortable to really enjoy your time on the water. Hope this helpsfficeffice" />>>
> >
Steve >>
>>
Old 01-03-2010, 10:03 AM
Baitfish

Thanks guys I have been leaning more toward the sit on top. I was able to paddle both and was much more comfortable on the OK. I will keep my I out for a used one because it is 17 deg. right now with 20 mph winds so it will be a couple of months before I go out fishing.
Old 01-25-2010, 11:13 AM
Baitfish

El Yako is on a distinguished road

I heartily recommend the OK prowler. Are there any on Ebay at the moment? THey can come up during the winter as people wonder why they boughtone in the first place as they haven;t been out for months. You could also try making an offer on a new one as sales are pretty low now and some sellers may be willing to make a deal...
I use thermals and a dry suit when it gets cold. Come on, be a man! Hold on, perhaps I should have said 'I wear speedos when it gets cold - come on, be a man'!?
Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 AM
Baitfish

KayakDave is on a distinguished road

The sit on tops are easy to use for most people - not quite as dry as a sit inside though which can matter in colder locations.

The Trident 11 is a good stable fishing yak and short enough that it's not a bear to carry around for the first timer. Sounds like you are test paddling - that is always the key...try before you buy.
Old 01-31-2010, 11:19 AM
Wilderness Pro Staff

Siebler is on a distinguished road

Generally SOT kayaks are better for fishing as the guys above all stated. Most manufactures not have a line of kayaks designed specifically for fishing, The Trident being OK's line.

I would take a look at some other manufactures lines as well. You might find you really like the Wilderness Systems T120 or maybe the Malibu Stealth-12

If you want to talk fishing kayaks please feel free to call me or anybody else at KFSupplies

866-587-2990
HOW SoCal Coordinator - www.Heroesonthewater.org

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Izorline International Pro Staff
Old 02-01-2010, 06:00 PM
Baitfish

Well after trying several I have found the one that fits all of my needs. I ended up getting an emotion stealth. It paddles and tracks well and fits nicely in the bed of my truck. Most of my fishing will be on small Lakes and on the river so I think this fits the bill plus I got a great deal for it. I also am going to try and duck hunt out of it next year.fficeffice" />>>
Old 02-02-2010, 09:23 AM
Home Guard

landwhale is on a distinguished road

Congrats enjoy and don't forget to post up some reports and pics