All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-16-2006, 11:55 PM
Baitfish

Aaron&Julie is on a distinguished road
Default 50lb. Kayak White

Following Iceman's success yesterday, I decided to try a PM run to La Jolla while Julie was in school.

Very sloppy out there, but do-able. Made 5 greenies and 3 spanish just outside the 1st yellow can to the south. Paddled straight out to deeper water, while putting out 2 fly-lined greenbacks. Passed by Ken (katchfish), said hi and told him he was on the spot where I got my yellow last week. Then I went south in front of the "big condo". Started angling away from shore. A couple minutes later my back bait is bit good. When I went to load, it didn't seem like anything was there. I put it back into clicker mode, paddled a couple of strokes and the clicker makes a chirp. Thinking I'm stuck on kelp or got a calico, I wind on it. The fish gets bigger and bigger. Finally I know it's not a calico when it spins the kayak around. I start to think white, then it makes a few powerful runs that had me thinking yellow. Nah, the runs aren't sustained, again I'm thinking white. It puts up a pretty good fight all the same, cutting through a bunch of kelp easily with the spectra, then finally surfaces 10 feet away. After a little thrashing I drag it alongside and sink the gaff home.

Here's my first 50lb white:

Thanks very much Ken for snapping and sending me the photos.

My day is made and I make for the barn. Called Julie at home, she met me at La Jolla. We ran to Encinitas to have fish prints done by Jim Van Evera. Very, very cool work. He's putting the final touches on them and we will pick one up this weekend. The fish is in our bathtub now surrounded by 80lb of ice. It wouldn't fit in our 120 quart cooler.
Old 05-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: 50lb. Kayak White

Aaron,
Congrats on the WSB Between the Hali's you two cleaned up on and now the WSB, you may be needing a bigger freezer. Save some for the BBQ. When we had our seafood boil last year, Robert grilled a bunch of marinated WSB I took and it was awesome. Besides hali, it has to be my favorite fish. Reading your post makes me want to load up my spectra reels and make a bonzai run to LJ soon. As always, Thank You for the post and look forward to see you on the water again soon,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-17-2006, 12:50 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 50lb. Kayak White

Aaron,
Nice fish! I can't get out in the kayak for a few weeks because of a calf injury. As soon as it's better, I'm hitting the water. I would be happy with a WSB 1/2 that size! Congrats again on a awesome fish.

Robert
Old 05-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: 50lb. Kayak White

VERY NICE FISH!!!!

Congrats on getting that bad boy!

Ed