All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 08-23-2007, 06:05 AM
Barnacle Bob

Tarpon guy will become famous soon enough
Default VHF Radios

I was wondering if you guys know a good place somewhere near Long Beach to pick up a good handheld? I've been looking on-line and see a few models that are "waterproof" etc.

Any suggestions both for location to buy and model would be greatly appreciated.

"I fish because the voices in my head tell me to!"
Old 08-23-2007, 07:31 AM
Barnacle Bob

Default Re: VHF Radios

Perry,

I just read your review of the Standard HX350S.

Some days I work a lot of hours and snatch a few minutes here and there for on-line stuff, so I don't always get to research on your site as much as I should

I'll probably go for one of these, unless you guys have other suggestions.

Old 08-23-2007, 08:25 AM
Home Guard

mg2969 is on a distinguished road

I am currently in the market for one also. I've been looking at the Cabelas 270 model. It supposedly is manufactured by Standard Horizon for Cabelas. It seems to appear identical to the S.H. 270 model. Its currently on sale for $89 ($10 off). It is JIS 7 rated

FYI
from http://www.opticsplanet.net/water-proof.html
Grade 7
Protected against the effects of temporary immersion in water.
Ingress of water in quantities causing harmful effects shall not be possible when the enclosure is temporarily immersed in water under standardised conditions of pressure and time.

Test conditions for Grade 7: temporary immersion between 0.15m and 1m
The test is made by completely immersing the enclosure in water in its service position as specified by the manufacturer so that the following conditions are satisfied:

a) the lowest point of enclosures with a height less than 850mm is located 1000mm below the surface of the water;
b) the highest point of enclosures with a height equal to or greater than 850mm is located 150mm below the surface of the water;
c) the duration of the test is 30min;
d) the water temperature does not differ from that of the equipment by more than 5 degrees Kelvin. However, a modified requirement may be specified in the relevant product standard if the tests are to be made when the equipment is energised and/or its parts in motion.

Summary of test conditions for Grade 7:
Test means: Immersion tank. Water level on enclosure: 0.15m above top, 1m above bottom.
Water flow rate: not applicable.
Duration of test: 30 minutes.
Old 08-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

I keep mine in an Aquapac , so immersion isn't an issue. Also, it floats! Cheap insurance! I've watched a pal drop a brand new VHF into 15; of Dana Harbor! Twas a sad sight! I have the standard horizon 350. Good radio! Piranha!
Old 08-23-2007, 01:58 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: VHF Radios

TG,
I wrote the page for the radio just before they came out with their newer more compact models, which more anglers use. Now, I would look at their newer models and other brands as well as there have been many more brands and models added in recent years.

The forums are a funny thing in a way in that they are just a small portion of the website, and some folks don't realize the rest of the website is here. Instead of making forums the major focus of the site, we chose to make information the main focus with the other 150+ pages and the forums a secondary part of the whole. Hope this helped,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 08-23-2007, 02:31 PM
Barnacle Bob

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I ended up buying an Icom IC-M34. I got it at West Marine on Marina Drive in Long Beach. One of it's advantages is that it floats. Although, I will still be bagging it when I'm on the water, so I guess that's not such a big deal. I was looking at other radios ranging from $99.99 to $149.00. This radio was $169.00. The guy said he thought it was a better radio and would give it to me for $149.00, so I bought it. If I took more time, I could probably get one cheaper, but I was glad to be able to see it in person and buy it on the spot.

Below is the Icom promo...

The Icom IC-M34 VHF Marine Transceiver is the industry's first floating marine VHF hand-held radio. Compact and lightweight, this unit is incredibly powerful, with plenty of smart features that make it the perfect companion for any marine outing, whether it is just a few hours of fishing, or a week-long expedition. The IC-M34 utilizes an easy-to-read LCD screen with a large 2-digit channel indicator that also displays the volume and SQL levels, and features both screen and key backlighting for easy night time use. This marine transceiver is also easy to use, with nine large buttons on the front panel that provide simple intuitive operation, and an easy-to-hold rounded body that fits securely and comfortably in your hand. The IC-M34 offers quick access to your favorite channels with a favorite channel function that lets you tag your most-used frequencies, as well as providing instant access to channel 16 and channel 9 in case of emergencies. What's more, this unit offers dual- and tri-watch functions, so it can constantly scan channel 16 as well as one or two user-selected channels so you never miss anything important. As an added convenience, the IC-M34 features an auto scan function, a two-step power saver, and weather channel reception with alerts for approaching dangerous weather.
Built tough, the Icom IC-M34 is constructed to not only IPX7 waterproofing standards, which means it can be fully submersed in up to one meter of water for up to 30 minutes, but has been designed to float in both fresh and salt water, so if you drop it you can quickly and easily retrieve it again. This unit also features an AquaQuake draining function which emits a vibrating sound that clears water away from the speaker grill. The IC-M34 is powered by a rechargeable lithium-ion battery pack that provides up to nine hours of operating time, while a four-step battery indicator lets you know how long you have to go. This unit is completely portable, weighing only 10.8 ounces with the battery in, and measuring 2.44 x 5.56 x 1.69 inches (W x H x D).
What's in the Box
Icom IC-M34 marine radio, hand strap, antenna, battery pack, battery charger, AC adapter, belt clip, user's manual and warranty information.

Taking the day off, tomorrow. I'll be fishing Dana Point late morning, so I'll report how it worked.

Old 08-23-2007, 04:45 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: VHF Radios

Glad to hear you found a good one. Like Piranha said, using a dry bag will help float it, or you can use a simple leash or clip or ?? just to make sure it stays with you when not in use. Good Luck at Dana

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 08-24-2007, 07:41 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road

If it is very easily used in the waterproof bag, great. I buy an inexpensive waterproof unit and save the money and hassle of the waterproof bag. As Perry says, leash the radio.

More important, keep it charged up! Not useful if it is in a pretty bag but you forgot to take out and charge. Depends a lot on how much you transmit when you are on the water. Receiving takes little power but transmitting (speaking) on your VHF eats power quickly.

Big O suggested hitting your transmit button and looking at your battery meter. If it drops off the full (5 bars on mine) then recharge before a trip. I can usually get away with 2 trips but prefer not to take the chance.

seaslug

p.s., I would love to see all of these equipment comments in the tackle & accessories forum (easier to find). After all, my kayak is simply a fishing ACCESSORY! IMNSHO
Old 08-24-2007, 10:10 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

The aquapac is a snap! You use the radio or cell phone just as if it were in open air. And it floats! No risk! My cell phone actually sounds better in an Aquapac. My $.02! Piranha