All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 12-13-2008, 08:46 AM
Predator

Granite Goliath is on a distinguished road
Default Whack-A-Seal

Sprinkles started off our day and traffic jams, but we got to Bayside LB and just in time as people started going to work and we got parking. Alan sets his own hours and I'm on vacation until the 6th so we go out and have the bay to ourselves.
We felt good though, water was green and great water flow.

We thought we had the bay to ourselves anyway. We were working the mid area of Bass Pass on hightide and Alan scored 3 legal sandbass, more smelt, a few perch and dime calicos and sandbass
I got some dime calico and sandbass. Also got revenge for getting cutoff on the rocks last time out. Even 8# cut like a hot knife through butter.

So Alan thinks he's stuck, looks like he's stuck, no head shakes like he's stuck so he must be stuck. Anyway he's reeling and pulling and drifts over to the spot for leverage and to help get loose. He says, "Oh no, there's a fish. You can see the fish."
But fish isn't coming up because this esa', Slappy the Seal has got a hold on him. There's no blood from the fish, no bite mark and it's a legal. I paddle over and scare the seal a bit.
He releases the fish. Alan's tangled, and seal is hanging around. I've got fish in my yak, Alan's got fish in a bag and sealing is trying to jump in my yak.
We get side by side to help unhook and when seal comes to my left I swing away with my paddle and rod, when the seal goes right Alan uses his paddle. He finally goes away. There's more to the story, but ask Alan the rest

High tide is going out so we head to the beginning of Bass Pass and I score 2 legal sandbass, Alan gets some perch. We head to hali hall and I score a dink

Alan's getting his fishfinder installed soon and I'll be building a kayak cart soon. Alan might head out Sunday, but I've got family stuff.
Old 12-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Home Guard

Iceman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whack-A-Seal

Cool report, I wanna venture that way. Parking free? Let me know when you go next.

Andy
OEX
Old 12-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Predator

Granite Goliath is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Whack-A-Seal

WOW! You installed my stuff. Small world. I returned a part to you I took by accident. Sorry, new parts and I thought it was mine.

I mainly go there for the free parking. And ease of it as well. There's a place called LeeWay Sailing Center. It has a public wash station for after paddling and free parking in front of it and across the street. I'm just a school teacher so my salary can't cover parking fees everytime I launch.

There's also a driveway to the beach so you can unload the yak, then take off to park your car. Later you can drive your car and pick up the yak, after the paddle.

However, to make the paddle shorter you can launch bayside of 72nd street jetty in LB. But, you carry the yak over the sand. My buddy has a cart, but I carry.

We fish the channel area and the bass wait for the bait to swim by and attack it. So it's mostly docks we fish. We see boats and other yaks metering fish, but no fish finder installed on either of our yaks so we fish the docks. Fish aren't really chasing right now, but water is getting clearer and feels warmer so soon enough they should chase.

That channel area gets huge amounts of bait coming in. Tons of mussels growing on the rocks, boats and docks make for an abundance of food source. Plus, there's no fishing on the land side of the docks so most fishing is never heavily pressured.

At high tide in warmer water there's a great dock between LeeWay and the channel. YFC by the buckets and bass waiting to get them (bass at hightide)

I'm hoping Friday or Saturday I launch. Depends on rain. I never paddle 3 days after any rain for bacteria reasons. However, that bay area has been given several A grades due to the high amount of seagrass growing, acting as a filter and pass hiding place

Hard part of parking is Fridays, due to street sweeping. But, one side of the street is street sweeping Thursday and the other is Friday, so all you really do is change whay side you're on. Friday is just less space to park on.

I'll PM my cell and let you know when. My yak buddy will usually go along too.