All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 07-28-2009, 06:03 PM
Baitfish

EricEde is on a distinguished road
Default Trying to make a decision

I'm trying to choose kayak. I have narrowed it down to a few models. I am 6'4" and 275#, so I am looking at the bigger yaks. The models I have it down to, are the OK Prowler Big Game, OK Prowler Trident 15, Malibu X-factor and Stealth 14. The biggest problem I have, while I can find the OK models to test locally, the closest Malibu dealer is 150 miles away, unless Gander Mountain has provisions for test runs.

Some questions, with the Malibu hull dimensions being identical will they handle alike? How much difference will there in the 2 OK models as far as stability? I don't like the idea of molded foot wells, Trident looks like it has a combination of molded and adjustable pedals.

Any input or suggestions, will be greatly appreciated.
Old 07-28-2009, 06:08 PM
FNG

impilcature is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trying to make a decision

I am 5'11" and 200# so there isn't much comparison there. I can tell you that I have a Hobie odyssey without much experience in it. Right now I am having a hard time staying comfortable in it because I don't stretch like I should. I never really gave an adjustable foot settings any thought but can't help but wonder if it would help be with comfort on the boat. I do like the convenience of having different foot wells to push up on or use to adjust myself with. I did look at a Kayak with adjustable foot wells and it only had one place for each foot where the molding has many which allows me to more securely shift my weight.
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 PM
Baitfish

Billy C is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Trying to make a decision

I am 6'2'' 370..
I went with The BG ..I have listed why on reviews..
It will depend on what your ability and purpose and water you plan to be on..

I came up with the same kayaks as you did..
The Only Trident I could find was a 13..and it was narrower..which meant my butt was tight fit.
Stability?
BG wins hands down...

Speed the trident kicks
butt. Narrow kayak is faster ..longer is faster.
No Malibue dealers nearby..so I went with a proven hull and with a model that's been around for a while.

Good luck..