All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 12-23-2009, 02:35 AM
Baitfish

THE CALI HOOKUP is on a distinguished road
Default I am custom building my bait live well

I am currently custom building my live well out of a vitties vault stackable pet food container. It holds up to 40 pounds of dog food, so it can hold up to 8 gallons of water, according to where i want to put my drain hole it will hold about 6 to 7 gallons of water. below is a visual of container i plan to use.

http://www.gamma2.net/Stack_Flyer.pdf

I have a couple of questions

1. Is eight gallons of water to much to have on top of your kayak, me I drive a (prowler big game kayak.) 600 pound compacity.

2.with this much weight swooshing around on my kayak will it make it easier to tip over.

3. Should I set it up like a hobie live well, where the pump is internal, pumping water through scupper holes, or the traditional pump over the side with the external bilge pump.

4. when your paddleing to your destination with a external bilge pump do you turn it off and hope the fish stay alive or do you leave it over the side and keep the bait tank running.

any suggestions will be greatly appreciated
Old 12-24-2009, 09:28 PM
Predator

spencerssf is on a distinguished road
Default Re: I am custom building my bait live well

When the weight is high out of the water line it makes the kayak less stable, so try to Keep it in the back part of the kayak.