All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-29-2007, 09:52 PM
Barracuda

jonee523 will become famous soon enough
Default Dana Point 5/29/07

Well today was awsome, I had the oppertunity to meet Steve (Seaslug) and do some fishing with him. After talking this morning we decided to hit up Dana point. Steve your a great guy and thanks for the tips and info about Dana. . I wish I could have listened more and caught a few more. But anyway we launched out of "baby beach" and headed out the channel towards the bait barge with Steve on the right and I'm on the left. Well Steve chose "right" I saw him hit 2 fish while trolling up the channel. We finally get to the bait barge and get some bait (med dines). So I start drifting with live bait then ???? the baits gone. So try this again and this time I get a gutted sardine back. By this time Steve is near the harbour enterance I see him with another fish. So now its like can I catch a fish. The answer is no. Well we head back towards the reciever and Steve lets me know he has to head in. Since I didn't want to fight traffic home I stayed a little longer. So we say till next time (thanks again Steve) and I keep fishing I don't want a skunk, then finally it happens. I'm using cut sardine (the bait died) and I catch a 12" tomcod. Hey the skunks off, so I stay in the area. I start throwing swim baits and I get nailed on the key lime green BH 3". This was my best and last fish today I think it was 14-15 inches, just a nice sand bass. So I stay for a bit longer and then head in myself. Overall a nice day, I met Steve, maiden fishing voyage for my new Quest, and I didn't get the skunk.

Tight lines and paddle well,

Jon

ps. My boat rigged very well, I just need a better livewell battery or way to reduce power consumption. I also need to re-mount the fishifinder display its to low and get really wet.