All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-22-2010, 06:21 PM
Baitfish

AFARR is on a distinguished road
Default Ok, got an idea on a kayak...now what safety/electronics?

I'm leaning towards an OK Trident 13. Small enough to be relatively handy for fishing local streams/lakes, but big enough to go out in some salt water (and if I get better to go out further).

Now...I have NO experience in fishing saltwater from a Kayak (and I've only been on a charter boat a couple of times).

What safety gear is mandatory and what is necessary (as they aren't quite the same).

Also..a fish finder. I don't want to haul a car/boat battery around at least yet...so if I'm going to experiment with one, I think an inexpensive battery (AA/9V) powered finder would be best for me..since I have no experience with them.

GPS? Need one or not? (I'm planning on fishing around the OBX the end of Sept...including kayak fishing, possibly charter and definitely pier and/or surf. I don't intend to go out of sight of land...however....someone pointed out that in the sound, you may get lost in some of the back waters. I have GPS on my phone...but I think it's tied to a map rather than being able to locate via topo / ocean maps.

Looking for inexpensive stuff to try out at first.

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2010, 06:43 PM
Barracuda

baitcasterboy20 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ok, got an idea on a kayak...now what safety/electronics?

Look at cuda fish finder's the system only costs around 100$
Old 08-06-2010, 03:22 PM
Baitfish

Toad Patrol is on a distinguished road

Depends on how accessory crazed you are. Some gotta have every do-dad, the more expensive the better. I've been kayakfishing since the first Ocean Kayak came out around 1970. One rod and reel and a bag of scampis was it for me. The simpler the better, eskimo style. My mottos, never be any farther out than you can swim back, and Murphys Law: the more crap on you yak the more likely you'll flip in the surf. But since than, the manufacture of extras has gone nuts. Start simple and see what you can't live without.
Essentials: rod and reel (I like the cheap stuff, $30 UglyStiks don't break your heart when you lose them/ E Bay reels like Penn Squidmaster $30) Some guys have 5 or more rigged up with different stuff so you don't have to retie different lures. plastic box with assorted lures, hooks and weights, I have a ton of gear but only load the stuff I'll be fishing with. A rod holder or two is nice. A gaff (mines a recurved and sharpened paint roller handle, big fish I use a ball peen hammer to calm them down) A fish stringer, like for trout is easy to carry, but a lot of guys use a steel fish clip
A PFD vest is probably a good idea, I only wear mine when it's nasty or big surf, but some wear theirs religiously. A pump is good if you have a leak, or at least something to scoop out water in your yak. I found a $3 whistle, temp, mirror, magnifier(To start a fire) that I carry on my vest. Some guys have extensive first aid kit, flares, Radio, GPS, swim fins, tow rope,anchor, drift chute, waterproof paddling outfit, bait tank, the list goes on. I got an Eagle portable fish finder off of e bay for $25. works great, but I don't really need it. All the extras in the world won't make up for experience, so your best investment is your time. Get out there and remember...it's a wet sport. Have fun.
-Scott
Old 08-06-2010, 10:20 PM
Baitfish

AFARR is on a distinguished road

Good points...

I have now:

Trident 13.

Instead of spending $20+ on a "safety kit", I got the same 1 qt bailer, a loud whistle, flashlight (lithium battery, LED, waterproof), and will now need to get a throw line...all for about $10.

Have a bilge pump (from a boat I owned..sold..and never had on the H2O).

Will get a nice PFD (comfortable and safe).

I'll probably stick with the above advice (for now)...not to go any further out than I can swim back...at least until I have some buddies to fish with (swim to their kayak...).

I'll start with 2 or 3 rods (still a bit of a gear freak...), but I'll have to see how I work them first....maybe cut back.

Will get a basic splashproof (cheaper than full waterproof) VHS radio for my own piece of mind....and a portable fish finder (basic model for now). Not sure on a GPS...although the Garmin hand held units look nice (and I don't want a dedicated unit for the Kayak...rather have one I can use for driving if necessary.

Now....I need to find a buddy...probably the best safety measure of all. I'm in the Allentown, PA area...want to try to get to the beach ( NJ is closest) and will start to try to find people who want to go a few times before it gets too cold.

Thanks!!

AFARR