All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Fishing Kayaks Forums > All Ocean Kayaks

Old 06-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Wilderness Pro Staff

Siebler is on a distinguished road
Default My thoughts on the OK Trident 15

The Ocean Kayak Trident 15 was released June of 2007. The newest of the Ocean Kayak line , I just had to have it and received the first boat in our shipment. Would seem kind of odd if a dealer wasn’t in the latest and greatest right?

After owning so many kayaks (12+), I was hoping to finally find the boat for me. My first impressions had me thinking that I had finally found what I was looking for, and so far I have yet to see anything better.

This kayak features an awesome deck with cool features like the sonar shield (I didn’t like it at first but now love it). Because I have the KayaTank in my Rod Pod I have to stow rods through the Bow Hatch, Being able to fold the sonar down and keep it out of the way makes the process a breeze.

Upon paddling this kayak I found that the boat tracks well and like every OK is great in the surf. I’ve taken this boat Surfing on several occasions and it handles very well for a 15+ foot boat. Also, it is DRY unlike my previous Prowler 15.

For these reasons I did not mind the few downfalls of this boat. The Trident is slightly heavier than a lot of the boats I have owned. It also isn’t as fast as my 15 was, However, being comfortable is far more important to me than being the fastest angler out there. One other problem was that this boat didn't really care to track perfectly in the wind, A rudder was the quick fix for this and after about 6 months of rudder use I would never give it up.

Whether beginning or upgrading, take a look at the Trident. You will be glad that you did. Also if you decide on the Trident take a look at getting the optional rudder. It is well worth the extra 250.00 or so. This boat is absolutely amazing with a rudder on it.

HOW SoCal Coordinator - www.Heroesonthewater.org

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Izorline International Pro Staff
Old 06-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Baitfish

JrBasser is on a distinguished road
Default Re: My thoughts on the OK Trident 15

The trident is a great boat for those who are just getting into the sport and want to start with the top of the line, or the avid angler looking for an upgrade. The boat handles VERY well in rough water as we learned on the mother ship trip when the water around punta bonda got a little sketchy. Throw on a rudder, do a few custom upgrades and BAM, a top of the line fishing machine!
Old 07-14-2008, 07:40 AM
TEAM OEX

Matt is on a distinguished road

Straight up best fishing kayak I have ever fished!!!! And yes I am fishing for AYS so yes I am sponsored to fish an OK now, but that doesn't mean that the boat doesn't kick much ass. I am definitely not some lil' guy on it either at 5'7 and 230lbs, the boat is hands down the fastest boat I have ever paddled!!!

My first day ever on the boat I headed to Mission bay to check it out, headed out into wicked winds and a ripping current, went to the back bay to look for corvina after launching from the bahia. After 2 hours of fishing in somewhat lackluster conditions and getting a few good sized spots, started to paddle back to where I launched only to find myself paddling against the tide and the wind. As I started paddling against both the wind and the tide, I very easily maintained a 4mph-4.5mph(gps monitored the speed for me) average at no extra effort then I would've spent paddling on any normal day, which means I was averaging between 1.5-2mph faster than I would've in one of my old rides. The trident is just plain fast! It has a glide to it that is just awesome!

Now having spent quite a few days in LJ catching a variety of T sharks, Leopard sharks, calicos, barries, and short halibut, I can honestly say this boat is just a great fishing boat, now if I could only catch the species I actually want I would be even more stoked. The boat handled the larger sharks quite well and I never felt like I was gonna tip or get sideways. It has a slight wiggle that is different than my other boats but after 10 trips on the boat I am totally used to it now and it doesn't bother me in the least. My boat is currently set up with 4 flushmounts in the rear and a fishfinder under the sonar shield. At first I thought the rod pod was kind of a silly hatch, but as I get used to the layout I find that I like it more and more, very easy to have access to all your gear with the length of the hatch. To boat does more punching through the surf then say a prowler, but if you time everything well it is almost a non-issue. When you do take a wave to the lap the boat does just fine, now keep in mind I am not some skinny dude, so perhaps if your in the sub 200 class the boat probably goes over just fine. I currently am using a couple of different bait tanks, but am really liking the way the Shimano Bristol Bay tank fits in the tank well, it is nice and snug and with 2 deck loops is very easy to make secure. I also really like the fact that you can put a plano box in front of it, although I don't use that space or a plano box it is still quite nice to have the option, I instead store my pfd, h2o bottle, and game clips there (yes more than one game clip, I am getting optimistic in my old age). At first I was fairly skeptical about the top deck layout, and now the more I use it the more I get used to it and really do like the way it is laid out, I currently do not have any forward mounted flushmounts and am thinking that, that is probably gonna change at some point, but I don't seem to really miss them much anyway. I do like the fact that the built in paddle holders work great at either holding a paddle or a gaff, so I keep my gaff on the left and my paddle on my right when I hook up, it is very easy to get your paddle stored quickly once you get used to the system. The more I fish the boat the more comfortable I am getting on it and the more I am impressed with how the boat handles!! Gotta say if you want a fast sleek fishing boat this is the one to get!!

STRAIGHT UP THE BEST FISHING KAYAK I HAVE EVER OWNED!!!!

Matt F.

Last edited by Matt; 07-14-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 09-22-2008, 09:06 AM
TEAM OEX

Just wanted to show up CJ with a nicer yeller!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-24-2008, 08:29 AM
Home Guard

landwhale is on a distinguished road

I like this one the best myself

The best kayak I have paddeled!
Old 09-27-2008, 10:39 PM
Wilderness Pro Staff

Siebler is on a distinguished road

Mn now i HAVE to get a Bluefin at Cortez this week. I cant be shown up by a Landwhale.
HOW SoCal Coordinator - www.Heroesonthewater.org

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Izorline International Pro Staff
Old 10-05-2008, 07:07 AM
Moss Back

Incredible will become famous soon enough

I use my Trident for hauling my dive gear. I traded up from my big game for a faster boat. The sonar shield makes securing my electronics for the surf a snap. The way the rod pod is set up makes it easy to access my gear. I hardly use my front hatch while on the water. The fact that it is raised makes it easy for me to have it open in ruff water without getting water in the hull. The cockpit is very dry. This boat has a great weight capacity. At 215 LBS I can easily carry all my dive gear including 3 Tanks. It is stable enough to stand on and tracks well enough. I will add a rudder to mine in the future. This is a great boat.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:58 AM
TEAM OEX

How every trident should look if used properly under the right conditions!
Attached Images

Old 04-01-2011, 08:06 PM
Baitfish

roman is on a distinguished road

Great pics. I'm looking to get a Trident 13 angler. Love the look of the rod pod and the storage underneath. Saw one at Paddlersport 2011 in Somerset NJ. Can't wait to use it in Cape May to land a few Stripers.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM
Baitfish

travis troutwhisperer is on a distinguished road

well guys I just got a new ocean ultra 4.7 kayak her in east tennessee watts bar lake and it really rocks it is the baddest kayak I have ever tried had a 2010 cobra marauder xf first boat had lots of color blems
sent it back second boat they sent me leaked about a gallon of water an hour sent it back I was told I had to wait 8 more weeks for my next boat this went on over a year so I got my money back and I'm gald the ocean kayak ultra 4.7 is a far better boat better then that cobra marauder that I had both only took 6 days to get here and was flawless