All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-08-2007, 12:59 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road
Default Dana Point - 7/7

Jackie & I fished Dana Point for the first time on Saturday.

Meet one of the locals when we were rigging up and asked him for the areas where the catching is going on. He was nice enough to give us some general areas to fish (Thanks!!). So off we went.

Paddled out of the harbor and fished off the Doheny beach area for a while.

We meet up with a father and son fishing from Long Beach. None of us were catching anything so we parted ways and Jackie & I headed back into the harbor and fished near the bait barge.

Seems like most of the local’s fish with live bait, we were using plastics. I caught a sub legal WSB and shortly after Jackie caught this halibut.

Only saw one other fish caught during our stay around the barge, which turned out to be the fellow who gave us the info. where to fish. Boat traffic started getting a little crowded around 11 so we made the paddle back to Baby’s Beach. Jackie caught a small calico in the channel on our way back. All in all Dana Point is really a nice place to fish and hope to make it back again some time when the fish are biting.

BC
Old 07-08-2007, 09:55 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dana Point - 7/7 - Here's a report from a 7-5 afternoon trip!

Hi Beachem,
Viking and I fished Dana two days earlier in the pm! Here's a copy of my report! Don't give up on Dana, it's a great place and offers some blue ribbon yak fishing! Perry will confirm that based on his own personal experiences there!

Dana Fishing 7-5-2007 afternoon to dusk!

Viking and Piranha left Baby Beach at approximately 1.45 pm . We had a great afternoon fishing inside the harbor. Terrific weather and a lotta bites/hookups! Sorry, no pics today! Speaking for myself, I caught 2 legal spotties(released), croaker, smelt, and lotsa mystery bites! All fish released! Waiting for the right kind! I've been eating so much fish lately that I'm od'ed on mercury. I turn red when the temperature rises! Lotsa raked baits, samuraied sardines, Mr. H says "I'll leave you the head only!", etc, etc! etc. High point of my day was a solid hookup with what turned out to be a nice leopard shark of about 4' + or _! After a sleigh ride of about 15 or 20 minutes, Wayne was waiting with his gaff to help me land dinner. After coming oooh so close a bunch of times, the leo got lucky and snapped my line. Close encounters of the disappointing kind! Back to square one! The weather was perfect and no wind. An easy paddle back to Baby Beach at dusk! Wayne, great fishing with you as always! Feel free to add on your story. Viking had good action! Wayne, you had an interesting afternoon! BTW, We may repeat this next Thursday! Company welcome!

Last edited by Piranha; 07-08-2007 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake!
Old 07-09-2007, 01:49 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dana Point - 7/7

Piranha,

We'll be back. Next time we'll use live bait.

BC