All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 04-18-2010, 05:43 AM
Baitfish

apollo132 is on a distinguished road
Default camping/ocean kayak

I am finally taking the plunge and would like to buy a kayak for fishing in South FLorida, I am 5'9" and 210#. The Kayak would be used for 2-3 day trips in the Everglades backcountry as well as offshore for Pelagics. In the backcountry rough seas are not really an issue ,but offshore is a different story. Which Kayak will strike the best balance between skinny and deep water fishing?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:06 AM
Free Swimmer

KirkG. is on a distinguished road
Default Re: camping/ocean kayak

I don't know what type of specific things you would encounter in S Florida but I have river camped for as many as 3 days on the Colorado River here in the west a few times.
I used a Cobra Fish and Dive for camping and taking it out in the ocean wasnt a problem because of the stabality. My friends used winderness System Tarpon 140's for camping on Lake Powell for 5 days.
There was plenty of storage inside the FnD for things you didnt want to get too wet, I say "too wet" because nothing is totally water proof if you get my meaning..
As far as if this would fit your needs I'm not sure. I would suggest you go and paddle alot of boats before you decide on "the one". You usually sacrafice one thing for another, like speed for stability, stability for storage etc. Hope this helps.

kirkG.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:27 PM
Baitfish

pcool3066 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: camping/ocean kayak

My wife and I Fish in SW Florida the Charlotte Harbor area. I have a Manta Ray and l
my wife has a Ocean Kayak Drifter. We were in heavy water yesterday and both performed well. Even with 3 ft water we both stayed dry.