All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 11-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Home Guard

landwhale is on a distinguished road
Default Dana Point Cash fro Calicos

Andy picked me up at 4:15 and we headed on down to meet Scott and Joe at Dana Point Jet Ski and Kayak. We launched with some brisk offshores chillin the air and headed up toward the point

Andy and Brian headed up near Salt Creek. Ran into John fishing the wall chatted for a few

Then I headed out to fish the kelp at the point. Mike and Chuck were already there and Mike said he had a few short bites but no takers, saw Wayne on the outside edge of the kelp. Got out the Uni Butter and started coating the jerk shads and weedless leadheads, no interest in the shads so started working the bottom with the 1oz weedless heads. Got some short bites then landed this 15” calico

The bite in the kelp only lasted about 45 min then died completely. The wind had shifted and was blowing hard down the coast so I headed inside the point fishing structure and the bottom. Even on the inside of the point the wind was moving me at a good rate and I started down the wall back to the harbor. Picked up some sand bass and a calico off the wall before heading in, 3 calicos and 4 sandies. Took a short break to talk to Mike and Chuck then headed back out in the harbor to try the new American Eagle Kayak Rod caught a 10” sand bass and a 20” halibut. I already have one American Eagle Rod that has become my favorite and really liked the new Kayak Rod especially the way it fought the halibut with ease, great new rod. Tim from Dana Point Jet Ski and Kayak was having a sale and cooking up some links so lunch was ready and I checked out his well stocked shop. As everyone was checking in it became clear fishing had been tough and when all was said my 15” Calico held up for the day…………………..Thanks to all who made the drive and for the donation……
No date yet though next will be Point Loma

Last edited by landwhale; 11-10-2008 at 11:22 AM.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Wilderness Pro Staff

Siebler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Dana Point Cash fro Calicos

Good job Steve. Looks like fun. I love Dana Point, really need to make it up there soon.
HOW SoCal Coordinator - www.Heroesonthewater.org

Wilderness Systems Kayaks Pro Staff
YakAttack Pro Staff
Izorline International Pro Staff
Old 11-10-2008, 08:40 AM
Home Guard

Iceman is on a distinguished road

very tough fishing for me, could not keep a bass on the line to save my arse. Barracuda and mackerel were a pain. Great morning aside from the blow, not really that bad. Walked away with a shirt, Uni Butter and a tasty brat off the grill. Good times! Congrats on the win Steve.......What about Newport?
Old 11-10-2008, 06:20 PM
Home Guard

Will B. is on a distinguished road

What? Where is the sandie and calico you were going to get for WCB?

Better come back down to La Jolla