All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 02-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Free Swimmer

PAL is on a distinguished road
Default MLPA story in WON

Friends,

MJ Kennedy and I represented kayak anglers at Thursday’s RSG meeting, where the first lines were drawn.

An account of the meeting appears in the current issue of WON. Don’t worry; we’re fine. Let me explain.

Thursday’s exercise was one of pitching or proposing MPAs. Nothing was excluded from consideration, and nothing was coming off the map, only going on it.

As expected, virtually every worthwhile spot on the coast ended up in an MPA proposal by the end of the exercise. Don’t be overly concerned.

The expansive list we saw on Thursday has no chance of coming to pass. Next Tues, most of the proposed MPAs should come off the map. Oh, there will still be a sizable backbone of reserves - the law requires it.

Before anything is set in stone there will be plenty of debate, collaboration, and adjustment. As I've said from the beginning, I wouldn't be wasting my time on this if I didn't believe a livable, workable outcome is waiting on the other end.

Finally, MJ and I are approaching La Jolla, Dana Pt, and the key portions of Malibulace with a ZERO-TOLERANCE policy. We will not compromise or give up ground in any of these areas. If we go down, we’ll go down fighting. For those who fish elsewhere, rest assured, we’ve got your backs too. We’re doing our utmost to minimize impacts to kayak fishing.

As always, MJ and I are here for you. PM any time you have concerns.

Tight lines,

Paul
Old 02-04-2009, 09:16 PM
TEAM OEX

Matt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: MLPA story in WON

Thanks Paul for all of your hardwork and great almost certainly herculean efforts to protect Kayak fishing!!! Thanks again!