All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Tidelands (San Diego Bay) Report 7/9/06

Jackie, Bob, and I launched around 6:30 A.M. It was calm until we launched, then the wind picked up. Wouldn't you know it! Then when we got out to the channel the wind died completely. It was better than a lake! Because the fish were on the chew big time! The tide was coming in. We caught some nice size
spotties North of the bridge.

We drifted under the bridge and didn't catch as many fish on the South side.

We chilled out and caught a few fish drifting.

The water was like a friggin mirror! It was so quiet and peaceful! No other kayakers out on the water fishing. We had the whole place to ourselves.

The bite was slow in the channel, so we made a move over to the flat by the anfib base. It is only about 10 ft deep there. We switched over to 1/4 oz lead
heads for the new penny shrimp and it was a fish a cast for over an hour! I put on a chartrueuse 1/2 oz spinnerbait and started nailing the bass. At one point I caught 4 nice size bass on 4 casts with the spinnerbait.

Then I caught a corbina on the spinnerbait.

He wasn't that big, but it was an unusual catch. You never know what you might catch in San Diego Bay. We called it a morning around 11:00 A.M.

I ended up with around 30 bass to 16 inches, 1 12 inch yfc, and 1 12 inch corbina. Not a bad day on the water.

A couple of side notes:
(1) There was a boat with a couple of guys fishing under the bridge earlier in the day. They were using live bait, We never saw those guys catch a damn thing! We caught at least 6 nice bass each on the dropshot as we drifted past them! Gulp rules!

(2) As we were making our way back we went past the moored sailboats. The whole area there is supposed to be a 5 mph no wake zone. This 1000% friggin
retarded jackass on a jetski goes blasting right past one of the moored boats at about 35 mph. I'll be kind and say he was 15 ft away when he did this. I was mad at this guy, and I was 50 yards away. If anyone wonders why a lot of people despise jetskis, there you go!

As usual, great fishing with Bob and Jackie today!

Robert
Old 07-09-2006, 07:16 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tidelands (San Diego Bay) Report 7/9/06

Robert,

Corbina on spinner bait! For a fish that primarily eats sand crabs and it hits a spinner bait, now that’s amazing.

The new penny and nuclear chicken shrimp were working well but I thought I’d change it up a bit. Tried using some Gulp smelt. I’ve used the smelt surf fishing but have only had marginal success, work just fine on the bay. Caught this SBB.

And a YFC.

Jackie & I had a great time fishing with you.

BC
Old 07-09-2006, 10:12 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Tidelands (San Diego Bay) Report 7/9/06

Thanks for the report guys-n-gals. It looks like the San Diego bays are doing real well on the fishing, which is good. I looked for the right tides for our trip, and they aren't until October , then that's gonna be bug season and time to get ready for the boil What to do...

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube