All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-16-2006, 11:32 PM
Baitfish

Habu is on a distinguished road
Default When will I learn

Was screwed by the Pacific star again!!! That's the last time for me on that scow!!! after a crappy 2 day trip my grand total was 3 yellowtail and 1 Dodo. If that aint bad enough I get home to find only 1 tail and 1 dodo. Guess thats all you get for $500

Last edited by Habu; 07-17-2006 at 01:24 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 06:09 AM
Home Guard

gone_fishing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: When will I learn

That just flat out bites!

Old 07-17-2006, 04:57 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: When will I learn

Habu,
Yea, that sucks I have been watching the prices of trips in WON every week, and the 2 day trips even on the smaller 65' boats are a good $350 , plus the $100 we all spend at the tackle shop before the trip, then the other $150 you take with you for fish cleaning, food, jackpots, tips etc...so to spend $600 on a 2 day boat ride is too easy to do these days. I love catching tuna also, but after a few bum 1 1/2 day trips that were turnarounds wth empty sacks, I don't know that just going to one of the MX resorts like Rancho Leonero or one of the VanWormer places is such a bad idea. Let them do the ground driving and deal with the federales, and just pick me up from the airport and take me back to the airport when I'm done catching fish and drinking margaritas

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 07-18-2006, 08:57 PM
Baitfish

Habu is on a distinguished road

Perry,

It seems since the albacore came back, their trying to price the ordinary guy outta the sport. It sure makes kayaking look GOOD! Will probably start giving up on long range and multi- day trips opting for Mothership trips and more kayaking excursions.

The Ranch and other Baja locals are very interesting, But I'm still apprehensive of the law down there.

Will you be fishing this weekend? I'm taking a fishing bud out for his first paddle (oops I mean peddle) ever in his brand new outback. Doh!

Bob...
Old 07-19-2006, 05:49 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

Habu,
I share your pain my brother. I used to go on tuna trips years ago with some of my co workers. Every time we got down to the landing to load up we got the same speech that the fish are farther down than our trip was originally scheduled to go, so we all have to pony up some more money to cover that. So we did, and the trip usually turned out to be a total bust! 1 10lb dorado for the whole boat! I gave up on those trips. Now they are way out of my financial reach. And do you know what? I could care less about them. I don't miss any of that nonsense. I have way more fun fishing out of my kayak. I don't care if I am just catching bluegill.

Robert
Old 07-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road

Yeah, the open party boats can be a beeatch. I gave up on them a few years ago. Best bet is a private charter on a boat that you know catches fish and has the right customer service attitude.

I am with Perry on the Baja Resorts. I've been down there about 12 times in the past 15 years and have not had one issue. We've been going to Punta Colorada the past few years and the place is fantastic. They even purchased yaks with rod holders and bait wells a few years back. Fishing 5-50 yards off the beach and catching jacks, cabrilla and roosters on fly-lines baits is PRETTY FUN!! Throw in some great surf fishing to boot and you can fish sunrise to sundown.

I'll probably put together a trip for next June again and anyone wanting to tag along is welcome. The trip, 5 days in the hotel, fishing 4 days on a cruiser, 2 guys to a room and boat, airfare from LAX, all meals, van to/from the hotel usually runs about $1300. You go go much cheaper if you want to fish pangas or the kayaks. Figure another $200-$300 for bait, tip and drinks.

Also thinking of headind down to Baccarrac Largemouth Bass fishing again end of September. The lodge is running a 3 day fishing special for $750.

Ed