All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-30-2006, 08:00 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Non-Kayak fishing report

Got a call very late Friday night from ED that the second seat was not going to be able to make it for the offshore shakedown trip with his new 18' Wellcraft CC. After getting a few things together, I told him I was going to be able to fill the seat.

We launched early and headed out to the 14 mile bank. We found a small kelp paddy with a dozen boats on and around it catching dorado, multiple hookups at a time. The water temp was 76 degrees and the express lane for the pelagics was open for business. After scoring a nice sized dodo, we left there towards Catalina for some bass action. On the way, we saw some other boaters on yet another paddy, so we just had to stop. We were trolling around the congregation of boats looking for straglers when this boater starts to come in behind us in the area of our trolling lines. We speeded up a bit to get aditional distance and when the boat passes behind us, the trolling rig starts the scream. We think were hooked on the boat, then this dorado explodes right at the bow of the guys boat with our trolling lure in it's mouth. The guy got the boat stopped in time and we bring in dodo number two for the day. We decide to head to Catalina for some bass action.

We fish the front side and I get a couple of bass, and Ed gets a couple of larger bass of course. I was using a few of the Big Hammer chovy colored baits and went through all of them in short order. I switched over to some of the MC swim baits without any takers, so I switched to running a Mogambo in the hoped of going weedless on my 14lb rig. A few minutes later, Ed slammed this 5.6lb hog.

We left Catalina after hitting the fuel dock for $4.60 a gallon and headed back to the mainland in the PV area. Not alot of takers and tried Point Fermin but the wind was howling and the trolling motor was getting a real workout trying to keep us orientated. We called it a day and it was another great day on the water..
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 07-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Non-Kayak fishing report

Perry,

Thanks for hopping on with the last minute invite and posting the report.

Had a blast yesterday, tried a few new things and they paid off.

Here is a shot of the 2 fish headed towards a dinner plate in the very near future

Old 07-30-2006, 11:23 AM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road

Hey Perry and Ed, looks like you guys had the excitement this weekend! Perry, I was out at Dana on Friday afternoon as planned, and got more excitement by ear than in the water! On the radio this guy outta Dana on a PB says, "First we hit the dodos, then we hit the yellows, and then we stopped off the beach and picked up four legal halibut!" Joe at the bait barge said they went out on Wednesday and limited on dorado 17-31 lbs. Very quickly! As for me, I got short fish on my yak, but lost bigger items. Got bitten off, as did K2Rick! Also I lost a very large spotty in the kelp! Piranha/Jerry :enlighten
Old 07-31-2006, 03:23 PM
Predator

Scott Shaw is on a distinguished road

What with the hot weather , when do those 200 to 300 hundred pound yellowfin tuna start showing up ? Last week , as I was floating in the pool sucking up Pacifico's , the pool thermometer read 113 degrees in the shade.What part of the body stuck out in the air soon needed constant water treatment. God , I just love Bakersfield in the summer ! Even if my buddy's are hookin' up Dorado's offshore. Such a small price to pay.Have a good summer Perry , and see ya in the sierra's in September. Scott Shaw
Old 07-31-2006, 09:50 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Jerry,
The fishing is continuing to be good and picking up with the water being so warm and it is welcomed by all I'm sure. Those guys who got the dodo's, tails' and hali's got quite the slam. I bet they fired up the grills and smoker in short order, I know I would have Talk about good eats.

PerryC.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:36 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Ed,
I just took a good look at the pic you took of the dodos. What model and pixels is your camera? Talk about sharp

PerryC.