All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 08-06-2006, 05:48 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default San Diego Bay 8/6

Drew, Steve, and I launched Steve's boat from Shelter Island around 6:30 A.M. It was overcast with no wind. We left the launch basin and stopped by to talk to Bob & Jackie in their kayaks it was great talking to you guys. I hope you had a good day on the water. We moved out to the main channel straight out from the pier and started catching a few bass on the dropshot in 45 ft of water.

I know one thing for sure. The gill rakers on spotted bay bass can be sharp! One of them went ballistic when I was trying to unhook him and my thumb got a nice slice job.
We got a few nice size bass, but the bite slowed, so we made a move to the other side of the Zuniga Jetty to try for some halibut. We caught 8 shorts to 16 inches and a bunch of jacksmelt and mackerel. No legals today. We stopped for lunch at Anthony's. Then we made it down to the bridge to drift the channel. It was rough by then because of all the boat traffic. If we were in our kayaks, we would have called it a day. We got a visit from the DFG. They checked our licences and looked in our cooler and split. We drifted under the bridge and picked up a few nice spotties.

Here is Drew with a nice one.

I hooked up with something on a 3 inch Gulp shrimp that was definitely no spotty. It was pulling drag like crazy. I got it up to color and saw that it was a nice corvina in the 3 - 3 1/2 lb range. I got him up right next to the boat and he went ballistic and I tried to horse him in and the hook pulled out! Damn! That was kind of stupid, because we had a net on the boat that I could have easily used. Oh well. You win some, you lose some. We made a move over to the ferry landing and drifted a little. It was super rough over there. Drew picked up a short white seabass and a nice spotty. We decided to call it a day at 2:00 P.M. A nice day on the bay! Water temp was 70 near the mouth and 75 by the bridge.

Totals: 35+ Spotted bay bass to about 2 lbs
12 Sand bass (mostly dinks)
8 short Halibut (to 16 inches)
1 spotfin croaker (about 12 inches)
1 white croaker
5 jacksmelt
9 mackrel
1 white seabass (16 inches)
1 yellowfin croaker (about 12 inches)
too many lizard fish
And 1 corvina 3-3.5 lbs
(I was going to release him anyway)
All fish released.

Everything caught on the Gulp shrimp.

Robert
Old 08-06-2006, 06:24 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Re: San Diego Bay 8/6

Nice going Robert and an outstanding combo of fish.

Looks like you have that area fully dialed in!!

Ed
Old 08-07-2006, 03:37 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road

Robert,

Nice to see you out there. Kind of strange seeing you in a boat but it must have been nice not to paddle all day.

Nice catching on the butts. Jackie & I were fishing the shoal close to where we saw you guys. Did pretty well on the SBB's. As we were leaving a boat pulls up and slides in to where we had been fishing for a couple of hours. One of the guys gets a live bait and tosses over the side. No sooner than it hits the bottom he goes bendo. After a shorts battle he brings up a legal or very close to legal halibut. Jackie turns to me and says I can't believe what she just saw. One cast and one halibut. I let here know he was using live bait, next thing she says is how much does a bait tank cost? Now that she's a member of the I caught a bonefish in the bay club she really wants to get a legal halibut.

All in all it was another nice day on the bay. You up for some paddling next weekend?

BC
Old 08-07-2006, 07:17 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

10-4 good buddy! I'll get back to you on which day. So far it's looking like Sunday. I heard you guys got your launch wheels. Sure makes life easier doesn't
it?

Robert