All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Newbie Kayak Fishing Q&A

Old 10-02-2011, 01:42 PM
Free Swimmer

james92026 is on a distinguished road
Default Absolute Noob seeking advice

Realizing there are many, many threads that would probably answer my questions, but also too much input to sort. I really would like some general advice on what to do. I am 70 years old, never been on a Kayak, have owned boats in the past. I fish in San Diego Bay and La Jolla Kelp. I would like to buy a Kayak that is stable, tracks well, and easy to load/unload by myself. I would probably be by myself most of the time, however it is possible that at some point in time, my lady friend would want to try it also. I own a Hyundai Sonata (2011) so it would have to fit on the naked roof as at this time I do not want to invest in a rack system that would probably cost nearly $500. I am a bit apprehensive about a cheap foam tower as I would be on the freeways quite a bit. I live in Escondido CA, and closest ocean launch would be in Oceanside or Carlsbad, but more than likely would launch from Shelter Island on San Diego Bay (at least until I got enough nerve to try a surf launch in La Jolla).

I've only started looking but so far here are my thoughts:

Mini-X by Malibu (mostly for the small size and stability)
Malibu 2
Cobra Fish N Dive (good reports)
OK Prowler 13 (Popularity)

my budget is less than $700 and perhaps another $300 in other essentials i.e. good paddle, life vest, seat back, rod holders, and whatever else I have not thought about (as I am sure there is much).

also referred fishing equipment (I got rid of most of my stuff years ago, but now have only a 9 ft with cheapo spin reel, and a 6 ft Ugly stick with Penn 500 jigmaster. I have been using swim baits (Hammer, Bait Trap, Krokodile, e.t.c. but will probably go with a live well later on. Launching from Shelter Island is close to Pt Loma Kelp, from Mission Bay La Jolla Kelp and not sure, but think the travel distance about 9 miles. (its been awhile).

I know, a lot of variables and subject to interpretation, but any helpful pointers is appreciated.
Thanks,

James

OH, I am 6 ft 1, fairly athletic, 185 lbs if that is helpful.
Old 10-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Free Swimmer

Default Re: Absolute Noob seeking advice

Ok, I know it is all subjective and individual and I will just have to try different things out. So for starters (remember, this is my very first time on a Kayak); I went to the Marine Base and rented one for an hour just to get a feel ($5.00). The one they gave me was an OK Classic Scrambler 11. I found it to track pretty well, seemed stable enough. It seemed as though the easier I paddled, the truer and faster it went. Having read a lot of articles, I was able to maneuver easily using wide-arc turning and rudder stroke. Using a reverse stroke, I found I could make a 360 pretty much in place. It seemed to come natural to me.

This Kayak came bare bones, no hatches, tie downs e.t.c. I found the molded in foot stops to be a bit on the short side and had to use the farthest out to stop from hitting my knees. No place for rod storage, although the aft tank well seemed adequate. Only discomfort was my left thigh and this more than likely due to stress at first time out. As for arms and shoulders, no pain at all and I had been paddling for over an hour straight in fairly heavy chop in the bay.

I probably would not be happy with any thing shorter, although I had been thinking of the Malibu Stealth 9 (I think it is malibu) built on the same platform as the Mini X. I was considering that due to its option of center bait well e.t.c.

At the same time, anything longer than 11 or 12 feet might be a probablem transporting roof top on my Hyundai Sonata. I need to meet some "yakkers" and pick their brains, or maybe somebody at the dealers can advise me of my options. Fold up launch wheels is probably something else I will need given as I will be by myself most of the time.

Have patience with me guys/gals, I am only learning, but I am a quick study.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:00 PM
Baitfish

tacmik is on a distinguished road

My advice is to keep trying different yaks. One you might try is the cobra explorer. 11 ft. long. weighs in at about 45 lbs. bare bones. holds quite a bit of weight. Easy to paddle and fairly quick for a small yak.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:22 PM
Free Swimmer

Thanks, I found a place that will do demos and I think they carry cobra.

James
Old 10-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Free Swimmer

added a couple more "definite possiblities". The OK Trident 13 and a Tarpon 140 as both have features I think I will like, but obviously will need to get them both on the water to make any real decision. OEX will allow me to demo anything they have in stock.
Old 10-09-2011, 03:15 PM
Free Swimmer

'bout ready to pull the trigger on a slightly used Tarpon 140 with rudder, and anchor. at $795 it is about $200 less than a brand new one without a rudder. Then might be able to get by with a soft car top carrier such as Malone or West Marine. Hope to check it out tomorrow and if they can get it onto the top of my car safely, I will more than likely get it! If it does not have the phase 3 seat, I will opt for a quality one from Hobie or something as long as it fits.