All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 08-28-2006, 10:30 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Kauai Fishing and Surf Report

Let the wife drag me and the kids to Kauai for 9 days and was able to get in a bit of water activity.

3rd day on the island I took the kids fishing for a day and ended up with a few decent fish. 30 minutes out of the harbor and we had a our first jig strike. The kids wanted me to go first so I ended up pulling in a Short-Billed Spearfish, a first for me.

We get the boat going and 15 minutes later we get our second jig strike. Ryan hops in the chair and after a 15 minute battle lands a decent little Wahoo, his first.

We had 6 more jig strikes through out the day including hooking and then losing a decent 150-200lb Blue Marlin, which spit the hook after 10 minutes. Also had one monster fish that hit the Penn with 120lb test that just ran for about 2 minutes before spitting the hook.

Ended the day with the kids playing with old marlin tails and having blast pulling out the wahoo's guts and cutting open the stomach.

Surf wise we had a good swell Tuesday thru Saturday, with most days head-high to 1-2 feet overhead. Surfed these 2 reefs with 0 to maybe 5-6 guys out at any time.

You can gauge the wave heights in a few of the pics with guys paddling in them. The one reef with the 2-way peak was great all week and is where a guy was whacked by a tiger shark about 1 year ago and lost a leg. Kinda spooky being out at that spot all by myself.

Also got my oldest son Ryan out and within an hour had him riding waves all the way to the beach!

Ran into a few locals that never surf alone...

...went down to Bolsa tonight and it was 1-2 feet and totally blown out. Makes me glad to be back home....

Ed
Old 08-29-2006, 06:16 AM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Kauai Fishing and Surf Report

Awesome report Ed!! That place looks like paradise! Thanks for sharing.

Robert
Old 08-29-2006, 07:41 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Kauai Fishing and Surf Report

ED,
Thanks for the report as always, and all I can say is Glad to hear you all had a great time, and lets hit Newport again soon. TC&TL,

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube