All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All General Kayak Fishing Discussion > All Kayak Fishing Chit-Chat

Old 09-16-2006, 04:48 AM
Free Swimmer

dwest is on a distinguished road
Default Kayak visibility is a safety issue.

At night there are navigation and running lights, and SOLAS tape, to consider. Maybe a radar reflector. Anything else?

In daylight there are kayak flags, outerwear in safety orange. Anything else? Other colors?

When efforts at visibility fail, there are last resort sound signals: whistles, air horns, etc. Anything else?

Thanks for your thoughts
Old 09-16-2006, 07:36 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Kayak visibility is a safety issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwest View Post
At night there are navigation and running lights, and SOLAS tape, to consider. Maybe a radar reflector. Anything else?

In daylight there are kayak flags, outerwear in safety orange. Anything else? Other colors?

When efforts at visibility fail, there are last resort sound signals: whistles, air horns, etc. Anything else?

Thanks for your thoughts
For night time forays, I use a vessel running light on the stern, and have a large waterproof flashlight for handheld signaling. The flashlight is one of the ones that uses 4 D batteries. You want it to shine a country mile. Radar deflectors may not be a bad idea, but the other vessel has to have running radar they are paying attention to for them to do any good. Some of the kayakers that kayak the english channel use them and maybe here for the trip over to catalina a few have used them. Keep in mind though commerical freighters often will not change their course whether there is kelp paddy with a dozen private boaters fishing it, or a twilight boat with passengers fishing from it. In both cases, the smaller guy moves.

Outerwear in a bright color is a good idea also. I use one of the NRS paddle jackets in orange. Other colors like yellow and bright green can also stand out well.

For audio signals, whistles are ok, but I carry a compact air horn like the boats are required to have. I've used it a few times, and whan you let it rip, I've been fortunate in whatever boat I mean it for it got their attention fast. Maybe the fact is they think they are going to hit or get hit by another boat and not a kayak, but hey I'll take it. Hope this helps,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 09-24-2006, 02:07 PM
Baitfish

adamjthompson is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kayak visibility is a safety issue.

I'm a novice to kayaking, but here's my opinion.

I wouldn't go kayaking at night, at least anywhere I expected much boat traffic. I'm in the coast guard aux, and I've just seen and heard of too many boating accidents at night. People just go too fast and don't watch where they are going. (That may depend on where you are, though. Our patrol area is Smith Mountain Lake, which is a local resort area.)

Now, that being said, if you are in an area where it's safer to be out at night, you should have lights on your boat. (I'm not sure if non-motorized boats are required to have lights, and my nav rules book is not handy, but I think it's foolish to go out at night without lights) For a kayak, I would use one white all around light.

Such as this one:

Be sure the pole is long enough that it sticks up above you head and is visible 360 degrees around.

My kayak is red and my lifejackets are red and orange, so I'm not too concerned about daytime visibility.

Yes, you should also carry a noise making device and an emergency strobe light on your person. Either of these can be used in your kayak, or if you fall out.

Stay safe!

-Adam
The entire ocean. The entire wo'ld. Wherever we want to go, we'll go. That's what a kayak is, you know. It's not just a keel and a hull and a seat and a paddle, that's what a kayak needs...but what a kayak is... what my kayak really is... is freedom.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:47 PM
Baitfish

Stevek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kayak visibility is a safety issue.

This is a good 360 stern light, it meets the CG 2 mile requirement and also adds plenty of cockpit light. And this is what I have on the front. It is still best to stay out of the main channel, and watch for powerboats, Heck they almost run you over in the daylight.

Tightlines
Steve
Attached Images