All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 09-29-2006, 08:13 PM
Livin' the Dream

seatech is on a distinguished road
Default Friday Marlin Hunt & Cat Tails

Went out in search of the elusive (and still elusive) carp today.

Dropped the jigs in a few miles short of the Avalon bank on a temp break / scum-line. Trolled the Avalon, and about 1/2 way to the 277 for zero hits and no fish to be seen. Saw a few huge paddies, lots of dolphin, birds working, bait jumping, fish boils but no takers.

Plan B, we hit up Salte Verde where we caught a few tails 4 weeks ago. Arrived to see only one other boat down by the V's. Water was 71 so we thought, let's give it a try.

First few baits produced rather large bonita, hadn't caught bonita this large in many years. We decided to slow troll the area and within 15 seconds of starting, we see a huge boil (by my bait ) and the line starts screaming off my reel. I'm thinking, now this is a decent bonita. 10 minutes later we bring a 15lb tail to gaff. We work the area for a few more pieces of lobster bait and bail for the front side.

Fished the front side for a few calicos on the crankbait and a couple more bonita on the leadhead feather. Back at home by 4pm.

Weather was foggy in the am, breezy until around 9am and then from there until 2pm, pretty flat. The ride home was the standard 10-15 slop!

Water was 69-71 from the Avalon bank to the areas we fished around Catalina. Not too many boats out today either!

Perry, I kept a big bonita and the tails left-overs for lobster bait. I think we need to do a Night Wall fishin'/hoopin' Session in the next few weeks.

Ed
Old 09-29-2006, 08:16 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs up Re: Friday Marlin Hunt & Cat Tails

Ed, Thanks for the report. Glad to hear you are getting on the water these days and the boat is working well. ? .....If you insist

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Last edited by PerryC; 09-29-2006 at 08:20 PM. Reason: addition