All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 01-30-2007, 06:19 PM
Baitfish

Rusty is on a distinguished road
Default vhf radios?

i've been looking for a while, but i am in over my head. can any of you help me with picking out a decent yet affordable vhf radio?
Old 01-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: vhf radios?

Heya,
Handheld VHF radios are a good thing to have, and I'm glad you're looking into getting one. There's a few things you may want to be aware of if you haven't already read up on them. There is a big difference between being water-resistent and waterproof. Water resistant means the unit should function for instance if it's on the deck of your kayak and gets some water splashed on it. Waterproof means the unit should still function if it's dunked under water at a certain depth for a certain amount of time. A JIS7 rating means the unit is waterproof. Personally, I wouldn't go for anything with less than a waterproof rating for use on a kayak. Along those lines, consider either using the radio in conjunction with a dry bag like an AquaPac or such, or keep some type of leash attached to it in case of mishap. A few radios have been lost by kayakers who have flipped over or just plain dropped them while handling them. In addition, some radios will use LI-Ion batteries which will last a long time as their primary power source. Some radios use a high energy battery which can be separated from the main body and a battery pack that usually uses AA batteries can be installed in it's place. That way if you're on a trip and your battery pack goes south, you can use the AA route as a backup and have a functioning radio. Some rados will also have other frequencies or channels in the for say FRS's or Family Service Radios like the Cobras and Motorolas and many other brands. Most decent radios come with a 3 year warranty with them. And the prices are around $100-$200 for good ones.

As far as brands go, thats a hard one for me. I have always use Standard Horizon radios besides Motorola's. I like the Standards, but there are other brands like ICom, Uniden, Raytheon and a bunch more. I currently use one of the Standard HX350S Radios and it's worked out well for me, but they are by no means the only good brand there is.

If you have some reading time left in 'ya, here are some links to user reviews that may be worth looking at:

http://www.nextag.com/best-vhf-hand-...io/search-html
http://www.boatus.com/husick/c_hheld.asp
http://www.powerboat-reports.com/sample/vhf.html
http://www.bizrate.com/marineelectronics/

Hope these can help,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 01-30-2007, 09:45 PM
Home Guard

Piranha is on a distinguished road
Default Re: vhf radios?

The best argument for an Aquapac is, if it falls overboard, it will usually float your radio. I was with my buddy Yakass when his radio went down in around 20 feet of water. Not a happy day. I also keep my cellular and extra car keys in another Aquapac! You can use them without taking them outta the Aquapac! If I don't have my Aquapacs, my electronics stay on dry ground! Piranha
Old 02-01-2007, 01:24 PM
Baitfish

Rusty is on a distinguished road

thanks for the info. should be helpful in this years tournament trail, i've had so many fish not make it to weigh in because i couldn't contact the weigh boats in time, not making the same mistakes this year.
Old 02-01-2007, 05:56 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

That's a good thought. I think alot of anglers are getting ready in their own ways for TPN series, even if most aren't eluding to much Not sure how many I'll be able to do, but I plan on making every one I squeeze in this time around.

Perry

Old 02-02-2007, 03:51 PM
Predator

Swampchicken will become famous soon enough

Perry,
Where can one pick up an Aquapack? Santa delivered a radio this Christmas.

Davey

Life is like a box of plastics, you never know which one to toss.
Old 02-02-2007, 03:57 PM
Predator

Swampchicken will become famous soon enough

And what channels do you hang out on when you are out there?

Davey

Life is like a box of plastics, you never know which one to toss.
Old 02-02-2007, 04:22 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Davey,
If you have one of the smaller radios, I have a few of the AquaPacs I'm selling off here http://www.gtaquasports.com/store/dry_bags.html If you need a large one after looking at the dimensions, NRS carries a complete line of AP stuff for kayaking now also. If you see anything left in the store you want, you get 20% off for being a "Good Egg". Just send me some email and let me know what you want and any type of shipping if needed and I'll send you a reply with the price and we can go from there.

When I'm on he water, I'll use channel 69 or 71. If I wasn't busy Saturday afternoon, I'd be happy to join you at Cherry I'll keep in touch and we'll get out and wet a line soon in a few weeks. Next weekend I'm out of town, then fishing after that.
Perry