All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 05-08-2006, 08:40 AM
Baitfish

GoingPostal is on a distinguished road
Default Need advise

I am about to upgrade from a Wilderness Systems Ride. I am considering either a Cobra Fisn n Dive or the Malibu X factor. I've read all the reviews, I've sat and stared at both models, and while I've been on the Cobra, I can't find a local dealer for the Malibu. I'm a big guy and I dive and abalone out of my yak so the large capacity is a must. Has anybody paddled both, and if so some advise before I buy would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 05-08-2006, 06:39 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Talking Re: Need advise

Wow,
That's a $50 dollar question. I have had both models in the past and liked different things about both models. I like the hull and deck layout (except for the angled hatch) of the X-Factor a bit better than the deck layout of the FnD. I especially like the smoother lines, the 2 inch mounting surface, and the sideways mounted smaller hatch that the X-Factor has. However, the X-Factor is a heavy kayak, and a guy I used to fish with told me that Malibu was changing who was going to be spinning their kayaks for them and he wasn't sure about the future quality of them, so he bought one before the switch. Now, this could be a just a rumor started by their competition, or someone doing it on their competitions behalf and have no real basis in fact.

On the other hand, Cobra spins their own kayaks and makes them in house. If you have a problem with one, you call them up and they take care of it for you. The design is older, but they still sell them by the truckloads, so how bad can they be? I had one of their FnD-XF models for a bit and liked it. I think it would definitely work out for scuba diving for you. But, if you're planning on taking an extra 72-80 tank with you, I dunno if you could slip it below deck through the middle hatch or not. The hatch may be long enough, but without doing it, it's hard to say. If one was on your BCD in the tankwell, you may have to rig up something to carry the spare in the bow area. With the X-Factor, you could probably slip it into the front hatch and down the pipe.

All that aside, I would really, really hesitate on buying ANY kayak sight unseen anymore from any dealer if there was a way around it. The only real good advice I can give is to paddle the actual kayak you're looking at buying, and if it feels good buy that exact one. Even though many kayaks come out of the same mold, they are a bit soft when they come out and can get bent a bit if the manufacturer is not careful or doesn't care about the quality, just the quantity pumped out.

If you do have to buy one sight unseen and have it delivered, don't sign for it until you have completely unpacked it and checked every inch of it. Once you sign that you received it in good condition, you may get stuck with a damaged kayak if you find damage after you signed. That's when buying kayaks online can get crappy pretty fast for all parties involved.

Hows the abalone diving going? I really dug the photos you posted before

Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 05-08-2006, 06:50 PM
Baitfish

Default Re: Need advise

Thanks for the input. I've found a dealer in Ukiah that carries both brands, and it is on my way to the coast, so I'll probably set up a demo ride there before I make my choice.

I've gotten my limits of abs every time I've gone out. So far though it has been rough conditions and poor visibility. It should get better this month though. I'll post some pictures the next time I go out.

Last edited by GoingPostal; 05-08-2006 at 07:03 PM. Reason: adding info
Old 05-08-2006, 09:23 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

Thank You, that would be great

Old 05-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about

I concer with Perry.
I wouldn't buy any kayak that I didn't try out on the water first. When I was first getting into kayaking I can't tell you how many people told me to buy this model or that model. Virtualy 85 percent of the advice that I got from these so called experts didn't work for me. In other words I didn't like most of the kayaks that were recommended to me. Try out as many kayaks as you can, As the old saying goes. I will say this though. Down where I am at in San Diego County a lot of people fish La Jolla out of their Fish N Dives. They are a truely proven kayak with a great hatch layout and major stability.

Robert
Old 06-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Baitfish

Well I found a dealer here in the North State that carries both brands. I really liked both, but because I was worried about water in the 45 degree hatch in the tank well of the X-Factor (Mostly the water was in the tank well because of my big A$$, and not from a design fault), and I would have had to special order one with out that hatch. I ended up buying the Fish-N-Dive. Like I said I'm a big guy and I really didn't notice the lack of speed that everybody complains about with the Cobra, maybe the Malibu was a bit faster, but let me tell you they are both way better than the Ride in the speed/glide department. Now I get to start rigging My Fish-n-Dive XF. It did come with 4 well placed flush mount rod holders. If there are any paddlers on this forum up north that need a new kayak check out Sean at Great White Kayak Company, GWKC.com, he is a really nice guy with great customer service!

Last edited by GoingPostal; 06-02-2006 at 06:44 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-03-2006, 07:37 AM
Angler and BBQ Meister

GP,
Glad to hear you got a kayak. I hear what you are saying about the 45 degree hatch in the xFactor. It was put in so anglers could slide their rods easily down the hull, but I'm not sure how many anglers actually use it for that. I always thought it moved the tankwell indentations rearward a bit further than they needed to be. Cobra is still going srong with the FnD and theres plenty is use with an excellent factory standing behind them. I had a chance to fish with Sean at Cabrillo one time and I agree that if you need a kayak or accessories, you should look him up. He is one super cool guy that I could recommend to anyone without hesitation.

PerryC.