All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 07-08-2006, 04:01 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default MBF 7-8-06 Mission Bay Spottiefest!

Our friend Ed Whitehead is being deployed to the Middle East, so a bunch of fellow kayak fishermen and fisherwomen got together to wish him good luck and all the best. We planned to do a little fishing as well. The name of the event is the Money Between Friends. Basically everyone kicks in $5 and the biggest bass takes all.
We launched at 8:00 A.M. I wasn't expecting the fishing to be very good. I never do well in Mission Bay. That's the reason I fish San Diego Bay exclusively.

I picked up and released a 12" yellowfin croaker early on and met up with my buddy Perry. We fished in the Mission Bay Yacht Club for a while for a few small spotties. It slowed down there so we made a move out to the channel.

We got into the spotties right away! The quality of the fish was excellent!

They were big and had extremely bad attitudes! We were fishing next to a guy in a kick boat. He was killing the bass on a crankbait. He also caught and released a nice corvina. At times it was a fish a cast for some real quality bass! The Gulp new penny 2" shrimp and a 1/2 oz chartreuse spinnerbait were both killing them today. After a dozen bass I lost count. We fished till 11:30
and headed in for the weigh in and a bbq. The winning bass was a hog!

The guys of the Plastic Navy did a great job as always. Some great fishing, great people, great food, and awesome weather! What more could you ask for? My opinion of the fishing in Mission Bay has definitely changed for the better. That place rocks! Good luck Ed. Stay safe and take care.

Robert
Old 07-08-2006, 05:56 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: MBF 7-8-06 Mission Bay Spottiefest!

Robert,
It was good fishing with you again today, and the only thing that was missing was the Beachums Next time. The Plastic Navy did a super job as always having a MBF, and it was just good seeing everyone. Some new faces and faces I haven't seen for awhile. It was great to be there, and the outstanding fishing made it that much better. Here are some of the pics I took:

Robert with another spottie, as he was busy all day reeling in fish after fish.

And at times, nets were deployed for assistance:

One of the cookie cutter spotties I caught during the day.

With most this size, as you can see the fishing was pretty good that day.

After the fishing was over, we returned to the shore for weigh-in. Here Amish Ed is displaying the mood of the day

A few of the kayaks on the beach:

Here, the weighmaster "Drew" on The Plastic Navy is using the beam of whoh to see which fish is the bruiser of the bunch.

Brett, the winner of the MBF event with the heaviest spottie of the day.

We came, we saw, we fished, we caught, we ate, and we drank. It was a great day in Mission Bay and I look forward to many more. Thank You Drew and The Plastic Navy for being such good hosts, and Ed I wish you God's Speed and a safe return to us.

PerryC.
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Last edited by PerryC; 07-09-2006 at 08:32 AM. Reason: spelling