All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 09-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Barracuda

Beachem is on a distinguished road
Default LA Jolla 9/2

Fished La Jolla today with wife Jackie, Robert, Drew and Freddie. Waves were small the water was warm, toss in a bunch of kayakers, some fog and bonita and you’ve got a fun morning. Didn’t see or hear of anyone catching any yellows. The bonita kept us entertained. I think I caught nine or ten including this guy.

9lbs 2oz on a digital scale.

BC
Old 09-02-2006, 06:30 PM
Barracuda

Robert has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: LA Jolla 9/2

Drew and I made it to the beach a little after 5:00 A.M. We ran into Jackie, Bob,
and Freddie. We were getting ready to launch and shooting the breeze. The sand was really soft at the driveway. A guy got stuck in his pickup. Some guys gave him a push and he got out. I'm sure a lot of vehicles got stuck there today. A guy rolled up with a Hobie Outback with a tower that he built himself.

He works for a company who makes towers like this for boats down in Chula Vista. He has his fishfinder mounted under the top and has a place to store his VHF. It also has some quick disconnect pins that attach it to the hull.
This thing was way cool!
Anyway, we launched at 6:00. Today was the first time in 3 weeks that I made it out dry! The surf was average size for La Jolla. We went straight out to the can. It was a little foggy with some swell. Quite a bit calmer than last weekend. The water was 70 degrees Just past the can we started trolling. I threw out a blue/chrome Rebel Fastrack. About 2 minutes later I hooked into something big. For a while I thought it was a yellow the way it fought. It turned out to be a 5+ lb bonito. Man, those fish can pull! I put him in the gunny sack for dinner. We went outside chasing some birds that took off every time we would get close to casting range. Not much going on outside and the fog was getting a little thicker. We made a move back in off the condo. Bait was boiling all over. We caught a bunch of bones on the krocs. Trolling and casting. It was a friggin' blast! The sport boats pulled in a short time later. The bite slowed a lot. We moved in just outside the can and finished up the morning hooking up to a bunch more bonito. We landed around 11:15. The beach was its usual crazy self. We talked to a DFG survey guy. He said that he saw a few small yellows caught, but that was it. A really fun day on the water! Bob, that bonito of yours is a friggin' toad! Great job! As always it was a lot of fun fishing with you and Jackie today!

Totals 16 bonito to 5+ lbs

Robert