All Kayak Fishing Forums  

Go Back   All Kayak Fishing Forums > All Kayak Fishing Reports Forums > All Salt-Water Kayak Fishing

Old 11-29-2006, 09:45 PM
Baitfish

Fisherboy is on a distinguished road
Default Ok I need some help/advice!

I'm 13 and getting a single person opentop kayak for christmas!Plus a paddle and a folding anchor!I have canoed some but never kayaked!I live in North AL and have many creeks and lakes to practice on!This kayak has some fishing gear allready installed (I will add more)!
I go to Mobile AL 2 times a year and Daytona Beach Florida 1 a year!
I want to fish in a spot in Daytona where the tide changes often and I don't know how swift it is but I know where I would launch it is fairly swift at the fastest point!It is a mile upriver to where I would fish!where I would launch is oh a half mile to the ocean (this area is where a river empties into the ocean )! Where I want to go is a mile upriver or down depending on tides!I mainly want to fish for flounder and redfish and maybe some snook!The tides if played right could be use to pull me upriver to my holes or down away from them right???
My question is could I safely paddle upriver , fish , fight the tides , and return in one piece???There is a lot less tide a half mile directly upriver!
And in a normal tide going aginst me could I even paddle aginst it???
Could I get tide charts and use the tide to get upstream???
I will wear a pfd and carry a signiling system and first aid stuff!
So at age 13 by myself could I safely paddle under these conditions???
I have fished , hunted , trapped , and swam for 10 of my 13 years and do have a little expirence!
Also my parents believe there are gators that might eat me please tell me and them this is wrong!
I know there are gators in the area but not common espically in daylight!
Old 11-30-2006, 09:48 AM
Home Guard

seaslug is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Ok I need some help/advice!

can't help on the gators but you can google tides and find free tide charts for most any area. If you are fishing incoming tide you probably want 1-2 hours before high tide going upriver and then a half-hour or so slack tide and then come back downriver with the tides.

OR, you can launch at slack tide or near and paddle where you want to go.
Old 11-30-2006, 03:35 PM
Baitfish

K thanks!
I saw some people kayaking with kids there so I know it can be done!
Also do you think I could ask to use someones private dock???
There was 3 houses within a forth of a mile of these fishing holes but I have never met these people!Do you think they might let me launch from their peir???
Thanks for the help!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 07:11 PM
Baitfish

Come on someone else help me out here!
Old 12-04-2006, 10:34 PM
Angler and BBQ Meister

PerryC is a jewel in the rough
Smile Re: Ok I need some help/advice!

Fisherboy,
Welcome to our forums here I'm sorry to say, but I think some of the reason you got so few replies to to questions is because of the questions themselves. Alot were about what would be safe, or tides and such. On the forums, one has to be ever so careful about answering questions related to safety. What may be considered safe for myself may not be safe for you or the next guy, and without knowing all the details, conditions, and paddlers involved, how can one answer correctly? Tides and currents are always a crap shoot to answer at best. You can have the same rate of flow in a main channel and be off to the side of it under certain conditions and barely have to paddle. A few feet further out in the channel or a different location and a 6lb anchor may not be enough to hold a kayak in a place, and the strongest paddler may eeek out just 100 yards and be exhausted. And you asked about gators? Please keep in mind that when we're kayak fishing, your butt is about 6 inches above the water. Ask yourself "How many animals that are large carnivores can man run faster than, swim faster than, or climb faster than?".

I think the best thing you could do if you're serious about kayak fishing considering your age and location is to get hooked up with a kayak or fishing guide and do some trips with them first. From the questions you asked, it sounds like there is ALOT going on and I think someone needs to be there with you when you get started. Safety is paramount in this sport, so please make safety your first and foremost consideration.

There is another forum back east that alot of the members are around the states you're considering kayak fishing in. I think because they may know the areas better and whatnot, it may be best if you ran some of your questions by them and see what they shoot back at 'ya. The forums are located at http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com They deal in some of the Southern States and have a cajun forum also. Hopefully this reply will help, Take Care and Be Safe,
Perry
Outcast Super FatCat float tube
Creek Company ODC 420 float tube

Old 12-05-2006, 05:34 PM
Free Swimmer

Fishyaker is on a distinguished road

to the forums! Like you I am new to the world of fishing from a kayak, but considerably older. I've had my kayak since September and have fished for a total of 1.5 hours in a protected bay. Definitely look into what Perry C suggested regarding a guide. A kayak, like any form of water transportation, is not a toy. Having worked around and with boats and aluminum skiffs there is no comparison between them and a kayak. Add to that the fact that it is dependent on your power to move and you've just multiplied your potential for danger. Take your time, know your strengths and limits, and remember safety first.